Subaru recalls 33K new Imprezas / winter gas issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/subaru-recalls-33k-new-imprezas-for-stalling-engines/

"The culprit in this case is the engine, brought on by using "winter blend" fuel. Under low-speed or high-temperature conditions, fuel may vaporize inside the fuel line. This could cause a drop in fuel pressure, which can make an engine operate roughly or stall out completely. In certain cases, it may take a little while for the engine to start again."

Some of us thought vapor lock was a thing of the past. They want these engines to run hot, some too hot IMO. My Wrangler radiator fan is programmed to come on at about 226F, too hot for this old timers liking. In the summer I run the AC all the time which turns the fan on a low setting by default, and keeps the temps below 226F.

So it was a CPU programming item. Meh.

I think this is going to become common place with a lot of programming recalls. Manufacturers will fish like heck so not swap parts but re-flashing the ECU makes it a lot less risky.

I have this issue on my Cherokee. Ethanol free gas isn't terrible, but winter blend regular gas is awful. If I shut it off and plan to restart it in 20 minutes, I have to leave the hood propped up. Always have to leave the hood open at the store.

And when we get those 70 degree days in February, I'll lose a cylinder or two sitting at a stoplight.

This is a fuel injected engine, too!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have this issue on my Cherokee. Ethanol free gas isn't terrible, but winter blend regular gas is awful. If I shut it off and plan to restart it in 20 minutes, I have to leave the hood propped up. Always have to leave the hood open at the store.

And when we get those 70 degree days in February, I'll lose a cylinder or two sitting at a stoplight.

You must live in a very low crime area. Up here in the Seattle metro, if you left your hood up, that engine would be gone by the time you returned if not the whole vehicle. Gone in 60 seconds.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

You must live in a very low crime area. Up here in the Seattle metro, if you left your hood up, that engine would be gone by the time you returned if not the whole vehicle. Gone in 60 seconds.

For the most part, I do. But it's pretty beat up and quite dirty. I think that helps.

I have the factory electric fan wired to a switch that is powered by ignition on. Last time it had one of these fits I left it in the walmart parking lot with the hood up, key and fan on and went in and did my shopping.

I did take a relay or two with me. But it started right up and ran on all 6 cylinders.

Wow.

There is no way on earth that the conditions you just described are normal, otherwise we would be seeing parking lots full of Jeep products parked everywhere with their hoods up, all over the country, and not just yours.

You should consider fixing your car.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Wow.

There is no way on earth that the conditions you just described are normal, otherwise we would be seeing parking lots full of Jeep products parked everywhere with their hoods up, all over the country, and not just yours.

You should consider fixing your car.

BC.

This is a common problem with 2000-2001 Cherokees due to the cat converters on the exhaust manifold filling the engine bay with heat. There is a TSB for this issue. The fix is a PCM flash that turns the electric fan on every time you do a hot start. The fan will run for a minute or two then shut down. The dealer also installs a heat shield on the fuel injectors. I had this TSB done to my Jeep 6 years ago and it hasn't run rough since. Worn cooling system components also contribute to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back