Who Thinks OHCs are a good idea for V engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
My two cents is that large displacement pushrod engines are physically much smaller than OHC examples and thus are more easily packaged in a passenger car. With the enormously tall hoods of today's pickups, there would be no problem with those applications either way.
If GM really thought that there were performance benefits to be had with an OHC V-8, then wouldn't they build one?
Does anyone seriously want to argue that Ford has engineering resources exceeding those of even New GM?
Both of these methods of valve actuation are very old, so neither can be said to be advanced tech in any way.
GM goes with the compact pushrod designs while Ford is married to its cammers. Same destination, different roads.

On the size thing-

My current DD is a DOHC V8. It's a smallish engine in terms of displacement-mine is 3.9L, and I think 4.4L was the largest JLR ever managed to get out of it in a standard production model.

Even so, I've been warned that if the engine ever has to come out, the only route is through the bottom. Just doing general top end maintenance(nothing invasive), I can certainly believe that-I was butting up against the shock towers to change a couple of the spark plugs.

The old Panther platforms could swallow up a 4.6L modular with room to spare(I think a lot of those were SOHC, but then I forget all the nuances of the various years), but then they have a lot of room under the hood. For a while, my dad was in love with the '98-02 Lincoln Continentals and had several of them. Those have a transverse mounted DOHC modular(in fact there's a badge on the trunk that proudly proclaims "Intech 32V"). Those cars are based on the Taurus platform of that era. I never looked into what it would have required to take the engine out, but the thought of doing it sends a shiver up mine spine-it wouldn't have surprised me if the transaxle had to drop out on them also.

My two cents is that large displacement pushrod engines are physically much smaller than OHC examples and thus are more easily packaged in a passenger car. With the enormously tall hoods of today's pickups, there would be no problem with those applications either way.
If GM really thought that there were performance benefits to be had with an OHC V-8, then wouldn't they build one?
Does anyone seriously want to argue that Ford has engineering resources exceeding those of even New GM?
Both of these methods of valve actuation are very old, so neither can be said to be advanced tech in any way.
GM goes with the compact pushrod designs while Ford is married to its cammers. Same destination, different roads.

Larger, heavier, and more complex seems like a null advantage to me also. The new Vette gets a tremendous boost in handling and polar moment by being able to mount the engine low and more to the rear.

Wait a couple of years, you may be surprised at what the General comes out with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back