Disconnect battery on 2003 Dodge Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon - I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with 3.3 L V -6 . I noticed the battery terminals are heavily corroded. I want to clean the terminals and apply corrosion proofer. I have had horrible problems disconnecting the battery on Toyotas. The computer loses settings and the vehicle runs lousy for 30 miles until the car " resets itself " Do I need any special precautions to disconnect the battery terminals on a Dodge Caravan?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

If your radio has a security system on it, make sure you know the reset code.

Even if it doesn't, I'd get some sort of memory preserver. The radio in my Dakota stopped working after I disconnected the battery in my truck last fall. Apparently even in the base/no-security radios there's an initialization circuit that goes bad and you don't find out until you need it to work -- after you reconnect the battery.

Originally Posted By: EricG
I bought one of these at WalMart for a few dollars!

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BSMAAOSwcBhWWJtl/s-l300.jpg

This type, using a 9V battery, will only work when there is a very small current draw and if the outlet is hot with the ignition turned off. Even opening the door and turning on the dome light will draw down the voltage so much you will probably lose all settings.

You don't need anything special, just use a jump start pack or jumper cables to another car to keep the system energized. The (-) side of your source can be connected to any ground. Connecting the (+) to the big wire on the starter will keep it out of the battery area. Realize of course that when you are working on the positive terminal it will still be live, so don't accidentally short it to ground.

I've not had any issues of the sort with my Jeep.

Apparently, they (Chrysler vehicles of this vintage?) like to act up when the battery is going bad, but I've not experienced those issues personally.

You'll need to reset the clock / radio station memory. Nothing else that you will notice. The transmission does adapt to the driver, but you will not loose any important learning it has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back