2018 Subaru Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Unfortunately, still under-powered.

The article doesn't mention what engine(s) it's going to get.

Is it going to be the 148hp 2.0 engine from the current Crosstrek or something else?

Not a fan of the beltline - I liked the first generation that had the flat beltline, but everyone seems to like the swoop up at the back now.

I do like that they kept the manual and made it a 6 speed!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I do like that they kept the manual and made it a 6 speed!

The article states:
Quote:
Gone is the option for a manual gearbox.

I contemplated buying a new Subaru Impreza a couple of years ago but decided against it because of reported oil burning issues.....has this been fixed?

From all of the other source's that I have read, the new Impreza is using the same 2.0L Boxer but now with 152 hp. I hope the Crosstrek will get more.

Though the 152 hp is no big power gain up from 148hp, some of the reviews say that with some new mapping & update with the CVT, the throttle response makes the engine feel as there is more...a good thing!

Mazda did similar with the new CX5. It's only up 3hp from previously however, the reviews say it feels as there is more and throttle response is even greater as well.

I don't think that in either case(Xtrek/CX5) that engine torque is up at all from previously.

Last edited:
Shame about the manual but the U.S. typically has fewer manual offerings from Subaru than Canada. We can still order a manual Forester and Outback, hopefully it sticks around for the new Crosstrek too. I imagine a stick will be available in Europe, Asia (its built in Malaysia as far as I know) and Australia/NZ too.

Edit: Just confirmed from Canadian Subaru's website that we'll be getting the 6-speed manual. Sweet.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, still under-powered.

Why do people think this car is underpowered? It will have about 150bhp. For a compact wagon, that is a good amount. For the size and AWD component, it is PLENTY of power for the class. Heck, others offer less for the same pricepoint and don't even give you AWD. My much heavier Outback I have only has 177bhp and that is plenty too although I am never going to win a race but I can transverse some steep mountains without trouble. It was more than you used to get out of the old 2.2L motors and they put that engine in Legacys/Outbacks

At 150+ horsepower, it is more than like vehicles or falls into a tweener status. It is more than its smaller competition but less than its bigger SUV-like counterparts (which would naturally fight with the Forester):
Honda HRV 141bhp
Buick Encore/Chevy Trax 138bhp
Toyota C-HR: 144bhp
Mazda CX-3: 146bhp

Bigger (and more of the Forester's competition).
Hyundai Tucson: 164bhp
Ford Escape: 168bhp
Toyota Rav4: 178bhp

Wife has a new 17 ( see my sig) No oil burning on this engine. It is NOT underpowered unless you are boy racer - and then you picked the wrong car. It is silly over priced for a tarted-up Impreza wagon.

The CVT works very well, it has a tiny torque converter that locks up immediately so you don't have the slush box effect from the saucy converter pumping losses. Not as nice as a dual clutch (PDK) but likely more robust.

The base forester is still the sweet spot for most car for the money.

When my wife was "bargaining" for the new Crosstrek, I sat in a new impreza.

There is now room for a six footer plus, though I find it curiously non-Subaru-ish. Redesigned Interior could be from a Honda Civic.

Main thing I notice wrong about the current crosstrek is also what was wrong about the base forester. Unrefined springing and damping. The rear is soft and bouncy on the crosstrek as if the compression damping is dialed way wrong on the soft side. On the forester the spring rates are silly-high and the compression damping is high also, resulting in a buckboard, nueck snapping ride. Unacceptable.
My cheap '14 Rogue Select has better seats, driving sightlines and ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
I contemplated buying a new Subaru Impreza a couple of years ago but decided against it because of reported oil burning issues.....has this been fixed?

Actually, the oil burning items was more of an internet rumor than a wide-reaching real issues. They did have issues (rings) in the early runs of the 2.0l engine and those were addressed and I have not heard about more item.

However the 90% "oil burning" issue is likely due to Subaru using 0w20, adding an oil-level icon to the dash, and mountain driving. Folks would freak-out that after 6,000-7,500 miles near the OCI the low oil light would click on. That "never" happened before that icon so it freaked folks out. Using 0w20 likely sped that consumption so that a 1qt over 5,000 miles was likely. We have multiple Subaru in my office (the personal vehicle of choice in a fleet office of domestics). I notice that of the 4 Subarus, the one with the oil consumption was the one with a long highway trip up over the Continental divide each day. He would have the most likely risk of the low-oil level light popping up before his oil change. Still, it was not always happening but it was the only common thread I saw. Considering that most Subarus are in the mountains, then it makes sense that it would appear to be more frequent. Going to a 5w30 will slow that consumption from long power-runs up the mountains in my opinion if that is a concern. Otherwise, the 0w20 is fine and consumption is minimal.

I think consumer reports did a survey of that exact issue and VW was more of an issue and only like 2% of subaru owners reported issues. That as about average for a manufacturer.

My wife has a 14 Crosstrek. It's slow. Or at least it feels slow. You press on the gas, the engine revs up, but the car doesn't accelerate much faster. I once tried to pass someone quickly on a 2 lane road. That was a mistake. With the pedal to the floor, I only slowly creeped past them. My Accord has 140 hp and feels WAY faster (and is way more fun to drive IMO).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The CVT works very well, it has a tiny torque converter that locks up immediately so you don't have the slush box effect from the saucy converter pumping losses. Not as nice as a dual clutch (PDK) but likely more robust.

I "love" the CVT in my Subaru. No joke. I would rather have Subaru's CVT over any other type of "automatic" gearbox. However, I only drive manuals for my personal vehicle and the Mrs get the Outback. So my exposure is less. I still think it is awesome-sauce.

For local, mountain driving around town, the CVT is a better mechanical choice. The ability for minor changes to RPMs/Torque helps with smaller changes in slope. You don't have other traditional/dual clutch options kicking up/down constantly. Sure, the highway cruise is not a quiet but Subaru did a lot better job than other CVT makers, but it is still less than Michelin tire noise. I will take that tradeoff anyday.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
My Accord has 140 hp and feels WAY faster (and is way more fun to drive IMO).

Weight. You Accord is 2,700lbs. The Crosstrek is 3,200. 500lbs does that.

I personally don't think that engines are under powered on paper. I think that some of the alternative auto trannys such as CVTs can make the engine feel somewhat lethargic due to lugging in the name of fuel economy. Even some conventional auto trannys seem to lug more at lower speeds, causing the feeling of being slightly under powered in certain situations.

Put your foot into it and they'll get up and scoot. But then, you won't get the projected fuel economy. It's a trade off!

The addition of X-Mode I like along with the 18" wheels and improved interior. More refined.

CVT transmission is the way to go and superior to the dated, clunky Subaru manual. The AWD system is also better with the CVT. No X-Mode with the manual.

The addition of X-Mode I like along with the 18" wheels and improved interior. More refined.

CVT transmission is the way to go and superior to the dated, clunky Subaru manual. The AWD system is also better with the CVT. No X-Mode with the manual.

The 5-speed unit in the old Crosstrek/other Subaru vehicles didn't have Honda-like shift or clutch feel sure, but the 6-speed is excellent. I keep my cars a long time. Repairing X-Mode computer module failures doesn't sound that fun or DIY friendly.

I had a 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd. As much as I loved the looks of the car, the Forester is more car for about the same money. It's silly they don't put the 2.5l in this car IMO.

My wifes 17 crosstrek feels TOO FAST to 40mph. NK. Really. I think they re-mapped the thing into warp mode.

Been riding with her for decades and never felt her accelerate that fast around town. Shes getting 35 MPG AVE with less than 2K on the clock. It is her first automatic in over 40 years of driving. You know them Europeans
smile.gif

As far as fast or slow You can get ringers dead motors ... depends on what you drive off the lot with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back