Source for moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have started my own paraffin based bicycle chain lube. Basically a mixture of paraffin wax and paraffin oil and a solvent carrier. I'm looking for a friction modifier like moly or a fluorocarbon to supplement my mixture. Any suggestions??

Hmmm, gonna try tungsten disulfide. Right off of e-bay.
wink.gif

I use MOS2 from e-bay. I have something like 0.5kg package for whole my life. It is high quality 4um
I have made own hot parafine wax.
In your case WS seems logical - since is solvable

PS
I've made a wet chain lube too - 85W140 + Mos2

Originally Posted By: miro
I use MOS2 from e-bay. I have something like 0.5kg package for whole my life. It is high quality 4um

Maybe the smaller the particle size, the better. Here is a 2 micron size:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-oz-MOLYBDENUM-...E-/281039964017

For a chain lube, I might mix "Liqui Moly MoS2 Anti Friction Engine Treatment 2009" with teflon chassis grease:
Z1sCvvjcpEx_.JPG

thumbnail_detail_1391511262973_ctx-1.jpg

Mixing those two should produce a very thick chain lube

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Wow, nice! Actually my climate is sandy, think SouthWest Florida. Therefore I'm leaning more towards a 'dry' lube.

Super Lube makes a spray (very light penetrating oil) that evaporates, leaving behind teflon. The light spray oil carries the teflon into the chain bearings and then evaporates for dry running conditions.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Wow, nice! Actually my climate is sandy, think SouthWest Florida. Therefore I'm leaning more towards a 'dry' lube.

I live in FL with same conditions. I use Dupont spray teflon as a chain lube for years. Works great.

Best bike chain lube...
1) Remove and clean your chain with your favorite solvent. Get a speed link if you do not have.
2) Outside - melt paraffin wax in a large soup can on a electric hot plate.
3) Add a teaspoon of molybdenum disulfide powder to the wax and stir.
4) Attach a wire to end of chain. Submege chain into the melted wax. Agitate carefully until the bubbles go away. A few minutes.
5) Pull chain out by wire and hang somewhere to cool.

The result is a dry chain that has the wax/moly inside the links. Because the chain is dry it will not attract road dirt.
This treatment can last a season. There was a magazine article that tested the chain lubes and this was found to
have the least amount of friction as well.

Should be able to get moly and PTFE powder online through google search, amazon, ebay, etc. My question is, do you anticipate this working better or resulting in significantly lower cost than using already available lubes? I switched to Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube years back; it kind of reminds me of Boeshield T9 but has that organic moly as well... plus its like $3 a can.

I currently have a couple seasons of riding on both my road bike and my hybrid (10 speed and 8 speed chains) without any appreciable wear. Not super high mileage, I'm not even sure I can guess to be honest. The past few years I was riding pretty regular but this year I have barely been on the bikes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back