Jaguar V8 5.0SC engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just needed some info on a good replacement engine oil for this engine.

Have been using 5w-20 castrol OEM engine oil, would like to try redline or motul for better protection.

Not a track car, so considering OCI of 7000 miles or higher.

What are your experiences on ford based V8?

If you refer to Jaguar AJ-V8 engine family they are, as far as I can tell, Jaguar, not Ford, designed engines. Ford, however, used it in some of it's cars such as Ford Thunderbird and Lincoln LS.

Originally Posted By: Finn
If you refer to Jaguar AJ-V8 engine family they are, as far as I can tell, Jaguar, not Ford, designed engines. Ford, however, used it in some of it's cars such as Ford Thunderbird and Lincoln LS.

I know it's been modified by Jag to some extent, but there are two aspects to this.

1. Engine oil must follow ford wss-m2c925-a acc. jag manual.

2. Oil grade is very similar to ford V8s (5w-20)

So I assume that at least the oil passages are very similar to that of jag. Not to mention a very similar exhaust note (probably from bank angle/manifold layout)

Last edited:
The true up to date Jaguar oil quality spec that you should be using is the Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5004. If you cant find this specification then the ford would be the fall back. If your looking at a step up in quality the Motul specific 948 B 5W20 or RAVENOL SFE 5w20 are you best options. They both have the formal factory Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5004 approval. Redline has no Jaguar factory approvals.

Up to MY 2014 the STJLR.03.5004 spec (5W-20) is stipulated for the AJ133 engine. From MY 2015 onwards the new 0W-20 spec, STJLR.51.5122 is stipulated. The 0W-20 is also backwards compatible with the older engines.

Originally Posted By: S50b32
Have been using 5w-20 castrol OEM engine oil, would like to try redline or motul for better protection.

What better protection do you think you need? What protection is missing from the JLR-recommended Castrol oil?

Originally Posted By: weasley
Up to MY 2014 the STJLR.03.5004 spec (5W-20) is stipulated for the AJ133 engine. From MY 2015 onwards the new 0W-20 spec, STJLR.51.5122 is stipulated. The 0W-20 is also backwards compatible with the older engines.

Originally Posted By: S50b32

What better protection do you think you need? What protection is missing from the JLR-recommended Castrol oil?

I never really liked shear rate of castrol oils; their only legit oil in my opinion is tws 10w-60, which given the price/L in my country could be replaced for 2L of redline. (same goes for JLR approved oils)
Then again I track monthly(not the jag) so it is not your typical daily driving environment. Intend to drag some time with the jag though.

I've had good results with redline on s50b32, so I wondered how it would fare in the Jag since it is a much newer car with a very different design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back