Post Your Latest Coolant Change.

2008 Camry V6, 75k

Out- factory fill. I replaced the water pump due to bearing noise and a leak. Also replaced the thermostat at the same time.

In- Toyota Super Long Life Pink, about 2 gallons.

2001 Toyota Tundra V8 155,000mi following yearly drain intervals.

Replaced lower radiator hose (upper hose was replaced a couple years ago and heater hoses appeared fine) and throttle body coolant hoses. Pulled block plugs, heater core and rad hoses and flushed water though system.
Reinstalled hoses and filled system with almost 14 quarts of Toyota Red.

A bit tardy with this post. About 2 years ago, a new to me car with unknown history, a GM / Holden / Opel (AH) Astra.

New cam belt, new water pump, radiator flush and new Valvoline Dex-Cool.

2004 Pontiac vibe
Out: appeared to be a mix of all makes all models green and Dexcool orange, unknown age
In: AC delco brand Dexcool 50/50 w distilled

1995 Continental

Out: Motorcraft Green, about 3 years
In: Napa Green /Distilled (Peak Green)

New T-stat, gasket, and LRH.

Heat can now burn your hand if you aren't careful!

Last edited:
Out - conventional green I believe it was AAP brand.

Flushed several times with distilled water.

In - Zerex G-05 and distilled water 50% concentration

In my 2001 Cherokee 4.0...I think the cooling system was neglected before I got ahold of it.

1998 Honda Accord V6 with 60K original miles
out: Factory fill from when the car left Marysville, OH
in: Honda blue, one gallon

2003 Onan/Cummins (really a Kubota) 7500 Diesel Genset in 2003 motor home, 340 Hrs

Out: Green coolant, likely factory fill (very clean)

5 DW only flushes

In: Zerex Diesel rated (Cat EC-1, etc.) Coolant 50% & 50% DW + New Pressure cap

2007 Lexus LS460

Out: Toyota Super Long Life
In: Toyota Super Long life

140,000 miles, started doing drain and fills at 80,000 miles...did another at 110,000...and my latest at 140,000. I figure it's been completely flushed by now, won't do another until 200,000 or until my water pump [censored] out (whatever comes first).

1998 Bmw 328i 155k miles
Out: blew heater hose
In: New hose, prestone all makes, distilled water

Did a full service on my '03 BMW 530i today. It's Christmas, the shops kind of slow, so I said screw it and brought my own car in.

The only part of the cooling system not replaced was the radiator. The car has 127k miles on it, and it looks like the PO replaced the radiator, reservoir, and fan clutch. Not sure howwhy those 3, but the rest was original. So, it got:

Upper & lower hoses, and fan switch in the lower hose
Fan blade & clutch
Reservoir, cap, coolant level sensor, brass bleeder screw
Both hoses off the bottom of the reservoir (one goes to the aux water pump, 1 goes to another hose that goes to the heater core (replaced that one as well)
And the 4th small hose that goes from the aux water pump to the heater pipe that runs under the intake.
Water pump
Thermostat assembly

While I was there, I also went ahead and did the belt tensioner and the idler pulley, and a new belt. One of the pulleys was squeeking like I had a supercharger, so I just took care of them. And also did the oil filter housing gasket. It's been leaking pretty good. It was rock solid, of course. Oh, and I replaced the power steering reservoir, and both lines that go to it. The other cooler line to the rack looked perfectly dry, so I figured I'd wait on that one, and pressure lines are expensive and always look like they leak - so, no reason to even touch it, imo.

The cooling system was filled with something yellow, probably Prestone or some such [censored]. I did a number of drain/fills (fill it, run it for a bit, let it filter it thru, then dump) until what I saw in the reservoir while it was running and what came out of the radiator drain was clear as day. Topped off with a gallon of BMW Blue, and all is good for a couple years until it needs to be drained/filled again.

Originally Posted By: KB1
1998 Bmw 328i 155k miles
Out: blew heater hose
In: New hose, prestone all makes, distilled water

You blew a heater hose? Let me guess, right near the heater connector at the firewall, right?

2007 Lexus ES350 90,000 miles

Out: 1.5 gallons of factory fill from radiator drain port plus whatever was in the overflow tank.

In: Prestone Extended life Universal and a bottle of Kool-it.

I was going to use Valvoline Asian vehicle, but Walmart was out and I didn't want to wait. I'll see if the 2-eha dissolves the gaskets.

1978 Bluebird Wanderlodge. 12 total system gallons of Peak Final Charge. 3 gallons concentrate, 3 gallons of distilled H20, 6 gallons of 50/50. A pretty thorough water flush with block drain plugs and oil cool drain removed.

2010 Hemi Chrysler 5y/100k Orange Hoat out and back in. Rmi25 added yearly.
20k miles but 7 years so time to change. 50/50 mixed prior. 4 gallons.
Maybe go to Zerex GO5 next time, they say it is the same thing, and Chrysler Hoat is impossible to find since they went to their Oat super coolant.

Last edited:
2014 Ram 5.7L: Replaced OEM black coolant recovery reservoir with a clear dorman replacement. So coolant level could be easily seen. Black OEM only relied on a stupid dipstick!

Went ahead & sucked out a gallon & 1/2 from radiator. Added 5oz RMI-25 and refilled both with a 60/40 mix of Peak Global Lifetime.

2004 Lexus LS430 drained radiator to replace stuck closed thermostat. Replaced with OEM t-stat and rad cap, filled and bled system with zerex asian/toyota pink.

I like to thank my flexible hose clamp pliers and napa radiator spill free funnel and my local yota/chevy dealership for carrying lexus parts.

2010 Honda Civic LX with 58,700 miles on the ticker. Drained and refilled radiator with no flush performed. Removed, cleaned, and reinstalled coolant overflow reservoir in front of the battery. Refilled overflow reservoir to the "cold" line.

Out: Presumably seven year old factory fill of Honda Blue coolant

In: Honda Genuine antifreeze/coolant type 2 with exactly one gallon.

Yippee. I have completed all fluid replacements for my children's car: brake fluid, power steering, transmission, and coolant. Oil change was performed at dealer when we bought it used.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Wife's 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 42K miles
Out: Factory Fill 6 year orange
In: Mix of Prestone Dex-Cool and Carquest Orange

My 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 45K miles
Out: Factory Fill 5 year orange
In: Zerex G-05 Gold

Back