Hemi MDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to pull the pin and purchase a new Dodge Challenger with the Hemi SRT. It has the MDS and it calls for 0w40. I thought the big deal with MDS is you have to use 5w20 in the 5.7 Hemi. Apparently it's really not all about thin oil and activation.
I was just surprised though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Getting ready to pull the pin and purchase a new Dodge Challenger with the Hemi SRT. It has the MDS and it calls for 0w40. I thought the big deal with MDS is you have to use 5w20 in the 5.7 Hemi. Apparently it's really not all about thin oil and activation.
I was just surprised though.

They work just fine with 0W30, 5W30 and 0W40, as well as the 5W20 that many of them call for.

If it's an SRT Challenger, its not the 5.7 Hemi.
The SRT models get either 6.2, or 6.4l Hemi's, and at least a few years back, they recommend a specific Pennzoil SRT formula, which is/was a 0w40.

The standard 5.7 in the R/The models calls for 5w20

Originally Posted By: earlyre
If it's an SRT Challenger, its not the 5.7 Hemi.
The SRT models get either 6.2, or 6.4l Hemi's, and at least a few years back, they recommend a specific Pennzoil SRT formula, which is/was a 0w40.

The standard 5.7 in the R/The models calls for 5w20

Good point. My reply was based on the standard 5.7. There are a lot of people running them on 30 and 40 grade oil w/o issues, although the spec'd 5w20 works fine too.

It's a RT with the 6.4 SRT motor. It's the Skat Pack pack. I bought it never drove it yet. It's the wife's and she loves it. I get 4 free oil changes as part of the deal. I probably go to Mobil 1 or Pennzoil or maybe even Castrol.

People were squealing about the new gen Hemi in 2004. MUST USE 0w-20! OMG, the engine will blow!

Within Chrysler's own recommendations there is 20w, 30w, 40w, and 50w across all the models.

It has been proven to be one of the most reliable Variable Displacement setups in production, and it is also extremely tolerant of oil viscosity...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
It's a RT with the 6.4 SRT motor. It's the Skat Pack pack. I bought it never drove it yet. It's the wife's and she loves it. I get 4 free oil changes as part of the deal. I probably go to Mobil 1 or Pennzoil or maybe even Castrol.

Your wife has very good taste! LOL

I have an SRT on order, will finally get to use all the xw-40 oils I have accumulated. My wife has a 5.7 in her Overland and loves it.

What color did your better half choose, what options did you get? Did you get the A8 or 6 spd Tremec?

I ordered the A8, GoMango, sunroof and block heater. Got the auto since my knee was acting up last year, I have 4 other stick cars to play with and after driving the A8 in the Jeep, I like it allot. Will be a tad bit faster too.

Last edited:
It's Torre Red with black leather, Navigation, 8 speed automatic, upgraded wheels. She wanted a Sunroof but they gave me a Great deal on this left over 2016. $4000 rebate plus 0 percent financing. The 2016 are identical to the 2017 they had on the lot so it was a win-win. I actually still haven't even drove it. She said it's exciting. I ll drive it tonight. It's funny but out of the 5 cars/trucks I bought new, I only ever took one for a test ride, my first one, a 1990 Mercury Couger. All the rest I bought, they prepped and my first drive was off the lot home.

Use the oil specified for the 6.4L engine and you can't go wrong. I use 5W-20 PUP in my Ram 5.7L Hemi and 0W-40 PUP in my Charger 6.4L Hemi. They both run flawlessly.

Congratulations. I want a scat pack Challenger but don't want to drop the coin on one right now. I guess my 14 Mustang GT will have to do for now.

I don't know how you have not driven it yet. That would have been one of the first things I did.

Wayne

I'm really tempted to use the T6 5w40 in my Ram 6.4. I am not convinced that the PUP 0w40 is any better for the price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back