Oil recommendation for 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. My 2013 Elantra GT came with 5 years of oil changes for free, which has now run out. I always requested a synthetic oil from the dealer, and the invoice reads "Castrol Syntec".

I will now be doing my own oil changes, and buying the Hyundai filter from the dealer as it is supposed to be a good filter. I am looking for recommendations for an oil I can easily buy locally. Details below:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
- 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT. The engine is the same as in the 2013 Elantra sedan (the 2014 did change models, but mine used the same engine as the sedan that year, if that helps).

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well:

Copied and pasted from the manual:

"API Service SM*3,
ILSAC GF-4 or above"
"For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use
the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-20 (API
SM / ILSAC GF-4)."

I fall under the severe service range, and I will change the oil at 6 month intervals.

3. Where you live
- Toronto. Temps range from -20c winter, to 30c summer.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
- nothing exceptional.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
- mix of city and highway.

6. Oil brand preferences:
Lots of products available to me, but convenience is important and Canadian Tire and Walmart most convenient. I prefer synthetic (full or highly refined mixed, etc). The brands that go on sale at the local Canadian Tire and Walmart are (not sure if all available in 5w-20):
- Castrol edge titanium
- Quaker State Ultimate durability
- Castrol edge extended performance
- Mobil 1
- Pennzoil Platinum
- Pennzoil Ultra
- Mobil 1 advanced
- Royal Purple
- Pennzoil Ultra euro

I think thats it. I just went through the Canadian Tire website and listed what i saw there. walmart should be similar.

Thanks!

I'd get whatever syn was on sale and oem filter sounds good.
I tend to prefer M1 or PP/PU over castrol and valvoline products but they should all be fine for 6 months in that car.

Is that one of the engines subject to the massive recall (inspections) due to metal particles ruining bearings? I know there was a recall a couple of years ago for this, and then just a month ago another similar recall for metal particles.

As for oil, if changed at 6 months, I agree any cheapest full-synthetic, but use a ZeroW in cold Canada: 0w-20 on the shelf in 5-quart jugs in Walmart.

A 0w-XX is not necessary, despite various pour point videos. I can find you a 15w-40 that will pour at temperatures colder than you'll experience, but you won't want to use it, because pumping is another matter altogether. That aside, how long do you want to run your intervals? That can help determine which tier you wish to go to. Any of the brands are fine.

A 0w-20 is fine, whether or not you actually "need" it. Imperial Oil does stand behind M1 0w-20 in place of M1 5w-20.

I bought a bunch of pennzoil platinum and ultra for $2 a quart years ago. I have used 5w20 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer. I have used all of my stash of that. So i'll probably run 5w30 platinum or ultra, year round.

Last edited:
A dino 5/10w-30 would be my choice for that engine and OCI of 6000km after the warranty period is over. There would be zero advantage in wasting your money on a lesser viscosity GF-5 synthetic, especially here in Canada where the prices are exorbitant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back