Purolator PL25608 after 10K OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some shots of a Purloator PureOne PL25608 after 10K miles of use.

The media was a little wrinkly and the plastic end caps have separated. The media seemed brittle and the glue at the ends easily cracked with little pressure.

The new filter next to it is an unused toyota OEM 04152-YZZA1.

Currently I am using a Fram Ultra in the van. My first Fram in 20 years!

I think I'll be sticking to the OEM. If the Fram holds up, I will use those when I can find them on sale.

Yikes! Thank you for posting though
thumbsup2.gif

That looks similar in construction to the L16311 I recently installed. Did it, like the L16311, leave a lot of space between the center tube of the cover, and the inside folds of the media? That appears to mean the media isn't well supported by the tube. The corresponding Toyota OE filter I took off after 17,540 miles didn't leave nearly such a large radial gap. In fact, it's very boring: no structural issues, and very little of anything visible caught by it.

What was the lowest temperature at which the engine was cold-started with that filter, and what sort of oil was in it? Cold, thick oil would tend to increase stress on the media, although obviously the media should still withstand the bypass pressure. Insufficient support by the center tube appears to be a weakness of some aftermarket cartridge filters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back