which oil is best for Mercedes-Benz 229.5 oil 0W-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought a C300 and was wondering which oil would be best to use to meet the 229.5 oil spec?
Amsoil European oil
Schaeffer's 8000 series
Mobil 1
Liquid Moly
or something else

sorry i meant to say 0W-40

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: minis
just bought a C300 and was wondering which oil would be best to use to meet the 229.5 oil spec?
Amsoil European oil
Schaeffer's 8000 series
Mobil 1
Liquid Moly
or something else

Up to you, but I would go to Walmart and buy the least expensive thing on the shelf that actually carries the required specification. It really isn't going to matter much after that, any oil that carries the specification is going to be much like any other. Does the Shaeffer's actually have the specification or is it "suitable for use"?

Castrol Edge 0W-40 would be my pick, or I think there is still a rebate going on for M1. If there is then go for that instead.

I have an E350 and I alternate between Castrol and Mobil 1. Also got some Pennzoil 5w40, but I haven't used it yet, got it and the Castrol at the Autozone $2 oil clearance. Otherwise Mobil 1 with the rebate is fine. In theory Castrol may be better because it has BMW LL-01 certification whereas Mobil 1 had it, then lost it for some unknown reason. But they should both be fine for MB because they both have MB 229.5 approval.

Maul-Mart has both Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 and Castro Edge 0W-40 (black bottle) in 5 quart jugs...

Both are 229.5 rated, and run very well for me.

A year or so ago there was a post here on BITOG about Mercedes-Benz vehicles having problems with the main oil seals (front and back for the drive shaft). That post said that in Germany Mercedes specified Castrol 0W-30 and the vehicles that used Castrol 0W-30 did not have any problems with their main seals. Mercedes however did not specify Castrol 0W-30 in the United States. People who used Castrol 0W-30 for their Mercedes here in the United States did not have any problems with their main oil seals, but people who use other oils for their Mercedes here in the U.S. had their main oil seals leak.

Anyway, according the the post, Mercedes issued a recall for vehicles that had leaking main oil seals here in the U.S., and replaced the main oil seals and then specified Castrol 0W-30.

Castrol 0W-30 was a unique oil that was maid in Germany, it was called "European Formula" in the black bottle, and it used a special additive that was made in Japan.

Now days, in the United States, you can not find Castrol 0W-30 anymore. BTW, Castrol 0W-30 was a very thick 30 weight, almost a 40 weight.

Now days, in the United States, you can find Castrol 0W-40 "European Formula" and it is made in Germany, like the 0W-30 use to be.

So there is a very good chance that Castrol 0W-40 has the same seal conditioners that the old Castrol 0W-30 had. If I had a Mercedes I would use Castrol 0W-40 "European Formula" in the black bottle in it.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
A year or so ago there was a post here on BITOG about Mercedes-Benz vehicles having problems with the main oil seals (front and back for the drive shaft). That post said that in Germany Mercedes specified Castrol 0W-30 and the vehicles that used Castrol 0W-30 did not have any problems with their main seals. Mercedes however did not specify Castrol 0W-30 in the United States. People who used Castrol 0W-30 for their Mercedes here in the United States did not have any problems with their main oil seals, but people who use other oils for their Mercedes here in the U.S. had their main oil seals leak.

Anyway, according the the post, Mercedes issued a recall for vehicles that had leaking main oil seals here in the U.S., and replaced the main oil seals and then specified Castrol 0W-30.

Castrol 0W-30 was a unique oil that was maid in Germany, it was called "European Formula" in the black bottle, and it used a special additive that was made in Japan.

Now days, in the United States, you can not find Castrol 0W-30 anymore. BTW, Castrol 0W-30 was a very thick 30 weight, almost a 40 weight.

Now days, in the United States, you can find Castrol 0W-40 "European Formula" and it is made in Germany, like the 0W-30 use to be.

So there is a very good chance that Castrol 0W-40 has the same seal conditioners that the old Castrol 0W-30 had. If I had a Mercedes I would use Castrol 0W-40 "European Formula" in the black bottle in it.

It is same formula.
Castrol 0W40 is now again made in Belgium (not that it matters).
I just bought jug of Castrol 0W40 for Tiguan and paid $22.97 in Wal mart.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

It is same formula.

What's interesting, just picked up some 0W40 at CTC here in Canada, now says "Made in Germany". (shrug)

i just thought one oil have better results then the other oil.
guess i will just pick one off the list

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: edyvw

It is same formula.

What's interesting, just picked up some 0W40 at CTC here in Canada, now says "Made in Germany". (shrug)

Might be older stock.

Under warranty ? I don't know . If it isn't ? You could. Grab supertech synthetic at Walmart 18 $ us and it pretty much has all the main spect it's sn-rc zo it likely also pass most euro spec

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Under warranty ? I don't know . If it isn't ? You could. Grab supertech synthetic at Walmart 18 $ us and it pretty much has all the main spect it's sn-rc zo it likely also pass most euro spec

Dude--I've come across many of your posts-- and I have to tell ya, you spread MORE MISINFORMATION than any other member. Let's try thinking before posting here, or better yet, read Motor Oil 101, etc and develop a knowledge base >>> before posting again
Steve

Yeah, you're really bad. Supertech doesn't meet any Euro specs, it basically just says it meets North American car specs. Not Euro. No MB 229.5 or BMW LL-01.

You seriously have no idea!

Huh, this change over time - so really best you can do is to pick one from the list.
Btw, just personally, in U.S. I would have chosen...let`s say...Valvoline Synpower HST 5W-40 or Synpower 0W-40
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DS9

Huh, this change over time - so really best you can do is to pick one from the list.
Btw, just personally, in U.S. I would have chosen...let`s say...Valvoline Synpower HST 5W-40 or Synpower 0W-40

If you were actually in the US, you'd go to Walmart and it's easy to find Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40. I don't see it listed on Walmart's website and I don't think I've ever noticed it on the shelf. Price wise they're both about the same, $23-$25 for a 5 quart jug, but Mobil has their $12 rebate going on now, Castrol doesn't. Plus Valvoline has a habit of not getting some of their stuff certified by the manufacturer, but in this case it actually is. My Mercedes has a Mobil 1 sticker under the hood and there's lots of fans on here who prefer Castrol. I just use whatever is cheaper.

RAVENOL VST 5w40, RAVENOL SSL 0W40 or RAVENOL HCL 5W30. All are MB 229.5 approved, made in Germany, and available on amazon prime so you can conveniently sit on your couch, have it deleivierd to you doorstep and then do your oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I don't see it listed on Walmart's website and I don't think I've ever noticed it on the shelf.

Synpower 0w-40 is available in 5qt jug for $25 in some stores, not Walmart though. But yeah, I would not go out of my way trying to find it, as I don't see how it would be superior to Edge 0w-40. Some people refuse to buy BP products though, so it gives them an alternative...

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

If you were actually in the US, you'd go to Walmart and it's easy to find Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40. I don't see it listed on Walmart's website and I don't think I've ever noticed it on the shelf. Price wise they're both about the same, $23-$25 for a 5 quart jug, but Mobil has their $12 rebate going on now, Castrol doesn't. Plus Valvoline has a habit of not getting some of their stuff certified by the manufacturer, but in this case it actually is. My Mercedes has a Mobil 1 sticker under the hood and there's lots of fans on here who prefer Castrol. I just use whatever is cheaper.

Thanks for the comment. All that is quite true.
However, as I said, Valvoline Synpower HST 5W-40 or Synpower 0W-40 would be my pick for a given spec. if I were in the U.S. I don`t use what is cheaper, but what I like more.

Last edited:
Amsoil European oil
Schaeffer's 8000 series
Mobil 1
Liquid Moly
or something else

Amsoil Euro 5W-40 - great oil - MB Approved 229.5
Schaeffers - maybe ok, but NOT MB 229.5 approved - Being a 2016, I would not let a non-approved list oil in my sump.
Mobil 1 - great oil - MB Approved 229.5
LiquiMoly - Has some versions that are MB 229.5 approved. Be sure to look at the list. I have used the Leichtlauf High Tech in my old 92 190E.
Castrol makes a 229.5 oil - another good choice.
Pennzoil makes a euro oil that is 229.5

If it were me, I would use the Amsoil or M1. Just my opinion.

Again, for a car that new, stay on this list to protect warranty: https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

And another tip - only use Mann, Mahle, Hengst, or MB FLEECE oil filters. No paper or other manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back