First oil change recommendations 2.0 2017 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnthemBassMan, you did get your Elantra for a great price!

Changing oil used to give a sense of satisfaction that job was done right. Reality is setting in. Not worth saving $20 a year to do it myself. Other things are taking priority and are on my plate. Getting old sucks.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Changing oil used to give a sense of satisfaction that job was done right. Reality is setting in. Not worth saving $20 a year to do it myself. Other things are taking priority and are on my plate. Getting old sucks.
grin.gif

I hear you. Dad keeps telling me not to get old, but I'll be 51 this year. Good thing that I don't look or act like it! The only thing is I sure do feel all of the things I've done to myself over the years.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan

grin.gif

I hear you. Dad keeps telling me not to get old, but I'll be 51 this year. Good thing that I don't look or act like it! The only thing is I sure do feel all of the things I've done to myself over the years.

L8R,
Matt

Be thankful you still have your Dad. The 50's brought my Mom getting ill then dying. My Stepfather getting ill and put in nursing home. I was the primary care giver and pretty much did in my health. Now I have another person that I am the primary care giver for. So, doling out car care to someone else is more appealing to me these days.

I would stick to the Mfr/dlr recommendation during the warranty period. Valvoline 5w-20 dino should be fine for that engine. I would change the oil now then again at the 6000 km first schedule but that's just me - plenty of arguments either way.

My friend/golf buddy has a 10 yo Accent. A very punctilious chap who has is car serviced religiously with the dealership. Being in his car numerous times I can say it runs great. He runs the conventional 5w-20 dealer oil.

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
Originally Posted By: PimTac
It sounds like a lot of short tripping. I would go by Hyundai's requirements for warranty purposes. After that maybe consider a syn blend or synthetic and run 5000 mile intervals. That's just me. Your preference and schedule will tell you what to do.

Congrats on the new car.

Hyundais have a 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty ... I agree with what you said but it'll be forever before it's out of warranty!
smile.gif

As long as you dot every "I" and cross every "T". I doubt OCI changes will make much difference though, really make sure you get the timing belt at the appropriate mileage. Those tend to be the warranty-killers...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

As long as you dot every "I" and cross every "T". I doubt OCI changes will make much difference though, really make sure you get the timing belt at the appropriate mileage. Those tend to be the warranty-killers...

That could be a problem. It has timing chain.
smile.gif

I am OCD with maintenance things so the I's and T's will probably be taken care of, one way or another.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
I meant 5w-30 for wifes Tuscon not your vehicle. In the Elamtra i ran Motrocraft 5w-20 in red jug from Walmart with 5k oOci's

That makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

That could be a problem. It has timing chain.
smile.gif

I am OCD with maintenance things so the I's and T's will probably be taken care of, one way or another.

Okay, I had seen warranties denied on older makes due to timing belt failures, but obviously you'll have no problems...

Nickdfresh, Thanks for then info!

Having a chain was part of the purchase decision. Did not want that extra expense.

I just picked up a brand new Elantra Limited as well. Seemed to be a good deal, $15,700 with all the bells and whistles for a brand new car, how can you go wrong? Liking it so far, just turned over a 1000 miles in its first week of duty. Between myself and girlfriend (who will primarily drive it) we drive a LOT of miles. My 06 Accord has 283,xxx on it now and still drive it to Chicago from Indy every week. I seen oil weight briefly mentioned in this thread, I was thinking of using 0w20. I've used Amsoil 0w20 in the accord for about 150,000 miles now so it would be nice to keep them the same. I've just scratched the surface on searching but thought I'd throw it out there.

In my 2017 Elantra SE, I left my factory fill in for 5,200 miles, which took me 7 months to reach. The dealer refilled with semi-synthetic bulk 5w30. I'm confident in 5w20, but i prefer 5w30 for my part of the country (Texas).

For warranty purposes only 7,500 miles or 12 months is required (US non-turbo 2.0 gas models), so as a compromise i plan to follow a 5,000-6,000 mile / 12 month interval, whichever comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back