Leak from new radiator hose and new clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi so I have a leak on a 2002 Ford Mustang V6 from the lower radiator hose specifically around the radiator clam and I can't figure out what's wrong. Whenever I tighten the clamp it stops the dripping so maybe that has something to do with it but I'm not sure.

The clamp is a screw clamp so not the stock one and it seems to leak all the time but again I'm not too sure.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Ive had bad luck with screw clamps.
If you keep tightening the screw clamp be aware you can crack the plastic radiator. It might be worthwhile to check and make sure you didnt do just that.
Then while you have it open, and if its okay, slip on a gates powergrip clamp. They work like heatshrink tubing; you heat it to shrink it around the hose. When the car heats up they will adjust to the hose.
Measure the diameter of your hose and order the correct size.
http://www.gates.com/products/automotive...ing-chart-decal

Had a few over the years that would not seal with the screw clamps. I just bought another screw clamp, and installed it 180 degrees, so I had two clamps on one hose. Drip or seep fixed.

Your hose is tired and compressed. A new hose could help.

But as said above I'd just smear RTV all over the rad nipple then reinstall the old hose and a new quality clamp.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Your hose is tired and compressed. A new hose could help.

Did you read the subject line?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Had a few over the years that would not seal with the screw clamps. I just bought another screw clamp, and installed it 180 degrees, so I had two clamps on one hose. Drip or seep fixed.
^ works for me.

I have an 03 CRV with 200,000 miles. I've removed the factory hose clamps from the radiator numerous times and they are out of shape from my manhandling of them over the years. I replaced them with worm drive clamps and had leaks despite tightening and retightening them. I finally bit the bullet and bought these.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...word=hose+clamp

I torqued them down with a torque wrench and never had another leak. I've had these constant tension clamps on for a about year and am very happy with the no leak results.

If you can wait a week or so there may be a free sample coming for Hylomar for Bitog members, that will cure the leak better than any other product you can buy and together with a constant tension clamp like the one kool1 posted it will be permanent and removable. Stay tuned.

Using a gear clamp on a coolant hose will always leak eventually. As the hose heats up and expands, a gear clamp will not expand with it making it tighter, pinching the hose. Then as it cools it will loosen off again Repeat this a couple hundred times and it will leak for sure. This is why OEM use some kind of spring tension clamp, like a corbin. If a gear clamp has been used, recommend replacing the hose and using a proper clamp.

Get a clamp like this one..

https://www.amazon.com/Breeze-Constant-S...sion+Hose+Clamp

And a tube of this..

https://www.amazon.com/Hylomar-172-148-U...ds=hylomar+blue

Remove the hose and wipe the nipple clean then smear a thin film of Hylomar on the nipple the push the hose on and tighten the clamp. It will never leak again guaranteed.
The nice thing with Hylomar is it does not make removing the hose in the future difficult. You will not use the whole tube but don't worry once you use this stuff you will never be without it and it wont go off in the tube like RTV and end up in the trash.

Right now I store my RTV in a freezer between uses to slow the chemical reaction. But I am planning to try Hylomar at the next opprotunity.
Those clamps are a major step up over the ones in auto parts stores. The liner prevents the gear from cutting into the hose as well so I could use them on my silicone hoses.
I'd give that clamp a shot at stopping the leak.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigD1
I have done the same thing.

Interesting. I have always used the auto parts store worm gear clamps. Probably for around 30 years. Never had a problem. If I ever do have a problem, I would probably just go buy an oem pressure clamp.

Last edited:
I used the smooth banded liner type worm gear clamp when I did my radiator hoses last month. Had to take every one off as the smooth part of the clamp buckled and caused leaks. Went with the old worm drive standard type to get a good seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back