Edge 0w40 Euro ok for old Mercedes 5 cyl diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put it in my 1976 300D. Meets spec ACAE A3/B3 - A3/B4, MB 229.3 229.5, VW 502 505 ect. From what I read, its fine for light duty diesel engines. At 80 horsepower and 3000lbs, I'd say this is about as light duty as it gets.

Other question, change it in how many miles? It holds close to 8 quarts, gets used mostly for 20 mile drives, about 40% highway, 50% rural, 10% stop and go.

Engine is nice and tight, 139k on it. I don't believe it burns any oil, though I will find out soon.

Due to the amount of soot that (I think) IDI engines put into the oil, I would change every 5K miles. Because of this, I believe an HDEO would be better suited for the older IDI engines.

I would definitely consider one of the 5W-40 diesel syn oils such a Rotella T6 or Delo 5W-40 full syn if you are driving it in the winter. Otherwise any good conventional or syn blend 15W-40 changed at 5000 miles or one year is a good plan. I saw Castrol 15W-40 for diesels for just $10/gal at WM today. But the only reason I would consider a 0W-40 is if I needed it to start in sub-zero temps without a block or oil pan heater.

Nothing loads the oil with soot like an old Benz diesel.
Having had two W123 240Ds, I do have some experience with this. After very few miles, the oil would be jet black and would have a distinctive scent.
Having written this, I'd recommend a diesel oil.
Since the five cylinder engine makes only 77 bhp, a HDEO 10W-30 would likely be fine for it.
I'd certainly use a HDEO over the PCMO you have in it now.
The extra dispersants in a HDEO are probably desirable.
IIRC, 3K was the recommended drain interval for engine oil on these guys, along with the coffee can sized cartridge filter.

Incidentally, an A3/B4 oil such as Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4 isn't a slouch when it comes to soot holding, either. Of course, an ordinary HDEO is far more robust than the ones available back in 1977 and will do the job admirably, too.

Guessing an interval is a bit problematic, without a UOA, or simply following the original recommendations when using a basic HDEO. Oils have advanced a lot in the intervening years, and the diesel is all ULSD, too.

Great input guys, thank you. 6 gallons of mispriced by Amazon Rotella T4 10w30 showed up this week. That will be the next fill. At the time of changing I was unsure how old the oil in it was and noticed a distinct smell (as mentioned above) but I mistook that for perhaps being old oil. I used the Castrol because I have a ton of it from $10 jug Autozone clearance.

I'd move to a HDEO soon.

A bargain oil at Autozone that isn't to spec for the vehicle isn't really a bargain at all.

I think people need to review A3/B4. This A3/B4 oil is within specification, and well within specification.

Honestly, what's out of spec? The HTHS is above 3.5. It meets and exceeds original requirements. A3/B4 is dual rated, and better than any HDEO that was available when the car was new. A modern HDEO or A3/B4 are both above and beyond, by a large margin, what was originally specified.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A3/B4 is dual rated, and better than any HDEO that was available when the car was new. A modern HDEO or A3/B4 are both above and beyond, by a large margin, what was originally specified.

And to take it a step further, what does a modern HDEO have that an A3/B4 oil doesn't?

Unless you need a low SAPS HDEO to protect DPF, in which case maybe A3/B4 isn't the right oil for the job...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And to take it a step further, what does a modern HDEO have that an A3/B4 oil doesn't?

Unless you need a low SAPS HDEO to protect DPF, in which case maybe A3/B4 isn't the right oil for the job...

Yes. I'm not sure how this vehicle needs a level of SA at 1 or under, like a modern HDEO. A low cost conventional HDEO might be the most cost effective solution, but if buying synthetic, go by price, and if the A3/B4 is a more attractive price, by all means, use it. It's a specified lubricant.

Originally Posted By: Gassbuggy
Garak to the rescue with information.

Another detail I skipped over is that this A3/B4 product is also listed as SN/CF, if I recall correctly. CF was the specification that was still not yet unveiled at the time of this vehicle, but would, obviously, have been used for this vehicle when the spec was released. I believe it was the subsequent spec to what was current at the time, and CF remained current for a lengthy period.

The lubricant in question is a very capable lube, and, manual specification niggling aside, probably is suitable for more cars in North America, current and past, than not.

MBDiesel.jpg

This is what Daimler recommends viscosity-wise. CCMC was a precursor to ACEA. Consider those oils to be more robust, the way A3/B4 is for pcmos today.

Id highly recommend a diesel specific detergent/dispersant package. An IDI diesel is not the same as the modern direct injected diesels that are out today. Call it conservatism, but an add pack that is optimized and biased for Diesel engines (even if it holds an API gasoline rating), will be better suited for what you've got. There's lots of legacy diesel equipment out there. Not so much for passenger cars, which is why I wouldn't personally want to rely on the latest pcmo universal specs when I could get the state of the art for diesels.

Id recommend, and do run, 5w-40 HDEOs. Wal mart carries at least three.

My Merc is a gas v8 m119 and newer, and it doesnt loke 0wx oil. 5w40 in the winter 10w40 in the summer. Thats not technical info, just based on my ear for smoothness. Just my 2c. PO had m1 0w40 in when i bought it, i now have 10w40 MaxLife in it and it is much quieter once hot. Same for the 5w40 synpower i ran for my last winter change.

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
My Merc is a gas v8 m119 and newer, and it doesnt loke 0wx oil. 5w40 in the winter 10w40 in the summer. Thats not technical info, just based on my ear for smoothness. Just my 2c. PO had m1 0w40 in when i bought it, i now have 10w40 MaxLife in it and it is much quieter once hot. Same for the 5w40 synpower i ran for my last winter change.

Unless you are below 0F the winter rating between the 0W and the 5W (and slightly higher temps the 10W) is meaningless. If you notice a difference between the three oils it isn't due to the W rating it is due to the HTHS of the oil overall.

10w40 (non A3/B4) diesel oil just doesn't exist nowadays in the US. If it does, someone let me know. I know they spec'd that back in the day though.

15w40 or 5w40 HDEO's and look no further. Nothing wrong with 15w40 here IMO.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
10w40 (non A3/B4) diesel oil just doesn't exist nowadays in the US. If it does, someone let me know. I know they spec'd that back in the day though.

You can find some 10w-40 boutiques that still advertise CF, for those vehicles that require it. Of course, that makes for kind of an odd choice, buying a 10w-40 CF at boutique prices to avoid an A3/B4 or a more modern HDEO at lower prices.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Nothing loads the oil with soot like an old Benz diesel.
Having had two W123 240Ds, I do have some experience with this. After very few miles, the oil would be jet black and would have a distinctive scent.
Having written this, I'd recommend a diesel oil.
Since the five cylinder engine makes only 77 bhp, a HDEO 10W-30 would likely be fine for it.
I'd certainly use a HDEO over the PCMO you have in it now.
The extra dispersants in a HDEO are probably desirable.
IIRC, 3K was the recommended drain interval for engine oil on these guys, along with the coffee can sized cartridge filter.

Any oil with B3 or B4 is specced for Diesel.

I haven't seen an oil that is solely for petrol or diesel in the UK for decades

Even when you look at Mobi1 0w40 Turbo Diesel ot is also specced for petrol engines.

In the case of the OP I would probably use a 10w40 or 15w40.

Either way that old Merc diesel will likely still be running just fine in another 250k miles.

Not very quickly perhaps but slowly but surely!

I would love to have one of these old Merc diesels at some point.

This is an old school fully mechanical IDI diesel and it will soot load the oil heavily.
The oil will be jet black shortly after being changed and will have a distinctive scent.
I know this from the W123 diesels that we've had.
IIRC, Mercedes called for 3K drains on these engines, so almost any modern oil of adequate HTHS viscosity should be okay.
If you had loaded up on clearance Rotella T5 10W-30 during last year's AMIR giveaway pricing, you'd have a good cheap oil for this engine.
Nothing wrong with PP 0W-40 bought at a deal, though.
I'd have no problems running it year 'round should we ever again own an old MB diesel and should I be able to get the oil at a deal.

Or the Edge 0W-40 you got at a deal:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back