2016 Nissan Frontier Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
Long time lurker here. It seems the general consensus is that brand is subjective as long as its API SN. And from what i gather is Conventional Vs Synthetic is based on how often i want to change my oil.
My question is this : Does a Nissan Frontier with the QR25 4-cyl engine, manual transmission, somewhat spirited driving. Driven 2-10 miles a day, and used for work on the weekends, warrant buying the high end full synthetic oils and filters? Or would a good conventional oil be just fine? Location is in the valley, in Oregon. So, not really hot, but not really cold either.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Depending on your OCI, the you wouldn't "need" a premium oil or filter. Any SN and GF-5 oil (and usually Dexos) will be all you "need."

By shopping carefully, I am able to find full syn oils for $3 - 4/quart, and buy Fram Ultra filters for $7 or less shipped. But this is a "feel good" play only for me.

BTW, my wife drives an 07 Frontier with 74K miles.

Thanks for replying!
My OCI has been 5k to 7.5k as per the manual. I called the service department at my dealer, guy said it "It does not matter, run whatever you want"

Well, I've had 2-QR25DE engines(2004 & 2015 both Altima's). They seem to like 5W30 oil for me. Maybe 0W30 for you. 0W20/5W20 makes the engine too audible but, that's just me!

I have the 2017 version of your truck and I use the lowest priced Dexos-1 rated 5W-30 that Wal-mart sells. I use OEM filters and Quaker State Synthetic blend 5w-30. My manuals specifies a 5,000 mile interval.

I change the oil in my neighbor's 2010 Frontier 4 cylinder. He gets 5K mile oil changes using Valvoline or Havoline 5w-30 conventional and a Nippon oil filter. Truck has about 65,000 miles. His vehicle usage is comparable to yours.

Nissan is a little weird weird in that many (but not all) of their engines still call for plain SN-rated 5w-30 dino at 5k intervals. They don't even have their own oil spec. Just SN. I just got a 2017 Versa and it says the same. Literally any SN 5w-30 will handle 5k intervals without breaking a sweat. There's no point in buying high-end synthetic if you're going to stick to the 5k interval, which you should for warranty reasons. I plan on using whatever SN dino I can find the cheapest in my Versa.

EDIT: also I think it's hilarious that the HR16DE in the Versa only holds like 3.5 quarts including the filter.

Last edited:
As stated above, pick which color bottle/jug you like the best in 5w-30 SN and call it a day. Nissan has no specific requirements for oil, which is great. Personally, I run whatever is the cheapest name-brand synthetic I can find at the time with a Fram TG for my 6 cylinder Frontier just for the "warm and fuzzies" I guess. I really wouldn't have any reservations about running a conventional if that's what I had in the stash at the time of my oil change. Right now I have 4.5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum and topped off with Pennzoil conventional (had to use up some open jugs) in a truck with 14,000 miles.

Oh yeah, enjoy that truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back