Trans cooler lines seaping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed today that my transmission cooler lines are seaping and plan to replace them soon. They are not dripping so will it hurt the transmission to drive it?

I would play it safe and leave it parked. If the lines are rusted a seep can turn into a blown out line any time same thing with a weeping o ring fitting or hose under pressure.
You probably wouldn't know it till it is too late.

The lines on my Cruze were weeping for a while. I don't know about your vehicle but I'm unable to check the level in mine. There was never a drop on the ground. Just some oily dirty lines. When I had it repaired I was shocked at how low the fluid level was.

Some vehicles' lines just weep. I've heard of people (notoriously, GMT800s) replacing weeping ones with new ones and a week later the new ones weep. Unless you're under warranty or losing copious amounts of fluid, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Self flushing!

I had to patch the metal lines on my Cherokee after an incident where the upper control arm sheared them off. They leak a little bit right now but nothing serious. I consider it self flushing.

I've had this issue after fitting a new radiator and lines to the Alero. Very difficult to get them to stop leaking at the fittings. No dipstick on my car (thanks GM) and I was surprised at how much fluid it took to bring the level to normal after the first repair.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would play it safe and leave it parked. If the lines are rusted a seep can turn into a blown out line any time same thing with a weeping o ring fitting or hose under pressure.
You probably wouldn't know it till it is too late.

You might have a walk-home, but probably won't hurt the trans. On a sudden loss of fluid you lose converter pressure and basically it just won't go anymore. Assuming it doesn't spray on the exhaust and catch on fire, which is pretty rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back