2017 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly my CRV likes the Castrol Magnatec. I used others, the worst was Pennzoil Platinum. It drank a half a quart in 4K miles doing that. Im still kinda experimenting on which it likes the best.

Given that you have a Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) engine, it couldn't hurt to pick a dexos1 Gen2 oil. DIT engines can have issues with a type of knock generally called LSPI, and the latest dexos1 spec includes a test to ensure that the oil formulation isn't making LSPI more likely to occur. LSPI is definitely a real world problem, my Forester was recalled for it and some Chevys and Hyundais have also been prone to LSPI damage and been recalled as a result.

Here's a list of the present dexos1 Gen2 certified oils...

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Here's a couple of threads with some more discussion of LSPI...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4306204/Infineum_on_Quenching_LSPI

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4025722/Re:_LSPI:_A_KNOCK_ON_THE_NEWES

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bojangles98
Honda's 0-20 is a full synthetic. Great stuff-never any issues and a typical oil change at the dealer is as cheap as anywhere.

If it's a cheap oil change at a dealer, it's likely Honda's semi synthetic 0W-20.

Honda's 0-20 is a full synthetic. Great stuff-never any issues and a typical oil change at the dealer is as cheap as anywhere.

If you buy it in the qt bottles, yes, full synthetic and great. BUT, if you get your oil changed by the dealership they DO NOT have to put in genuine Honda 0w-20 synthetic. What they put in is bulk oil that they've purchased that "meets" Honda's api specs. My friend who worked there can attest to this, his dealership bought the cheapest they could find. I seriously doubt it even "met" specs.

Try some Castrol Edge from wm. Take it to the dealer and let the dealer install. Ask them to return the 5 qt. jug with the residual .5 qt. remaining.

Expounding on the statement above, in many cases while an automaker will endorse a certain brand to use in their cars, it doesn't mean they are using that oil in their shops. Trust but verify.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

If it's a cheap oil change at a dealer, it's likely Honda's semi synthetic 0W-20.

The dealer 5W20 is semi synthetic, the 0W20 is synthetic. Don't think there is such a thing as semi synthetic 0W20.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

If you buy it in the qt bottles, yes, full synthetic and great. BUT, if you get your oil changed by the dealership they DO NOT have to put in genuine Honda 0w-20 synthetic. What they put in is bulk oil that they've purchased that "meets" Honda's api specs. My friend who worked there can attest to this, his dealership bought the cheapest they could find. I seriously doubt it even "met" specs.

The oil that gets put in our bulk tanks still has to be approved by Honda. Our bulk 0W20 comes from Petro Canada, (Supreme 0W20 Synthetic) probably the same supplier as the bottled stuff. This oil also meets Dexos1.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/productoverview/brand/productline/supreme-synthetic

Quote:
Approvals:

API SN licensed
GM dexos1™ licensed
Suitable for use:[1]

Meets or exceeds ILSAC GF-5 requirements
Meets the latest API Resource Conserving standard
Chrysler MS-6395
Ford WSS-M2C947-A
Meets oil specification requirements for Honda and Mazda vehicles

Last edited:
That depends on your driving style/OCI preferences, but while under warranty, pick one that meets Honda's specifications and keep receipts.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

The dealer 5W20 is semi synthetic, the 0W20 is synthetic. Don't think there is such a thing as semi synthetic 0W20.

honda has a 0/20 semi

I would use PENNZOIL Platinum 0w20. It meets HTO-6, Hondas tough turbo spec. Also, Hondas own CP produced oil comes as a blend and synthetic, yes even the 0w20 flavor

2iidi4y.jpg

Pennzoil.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/b...d-Motor-Oil.pdf

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Pennzoil.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/b...d-Motor-Oil.pdf

no Honda/Acura HTO-06 spec on this 0/20 Penzooil

Originally Posted By: dblshock

no Honda/Acura HTO-06 spec on this 0/20 Penzooil

According to the Pennzoil website, 0W20 Platinum doesn't have it, either.
But, that is an old spec that was basically crafted for a single Acura engine over 10 years ago...and that doesn't address LSPI at all (that 2.3l was not a DIT engine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back