WIX 51085 Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my Mom's 2006 Jeep Commander with the 5.7L Hemi. The OCI was probably 5K Miles, not sure I forgot to log the miles last time I changed it. It was last changed Christmas day 2016 and she drives 30 miles each way to work 5 days a week with a lot of driving and trips on the weekends. The Jeep normally burns a lot of oil but I switched to Castrol Edge 5W-20 last time and it only used about a quart since Christmas. I put the same kind of Oil & Filter in and on this time. The marks on the media are from my tin snips, other than the damage I did to the filter it looks good.

Filter looks good, the Wix are always solid filters!

My dad has a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L. He just passed 90k miles, and tows with it every other weekend. We found that it burns a bit of oil on 5w20. I switched it to Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and consumption went down a ton. I haven't added any oil the past few changes. MPG has also stayed the same. You might want to give that oil a try and see if it helps.
thumbsup2.gif

Actually used oil makes a decent stain for wood. Major drawback of course is it causes cancer.

Yes I'm serious. I will update you end of April. Probably look like that until April 2018, then ill add a coat. What you you think all of the stains and water sealers are made from? The water just beads up on this. I doubt im an any jeopardy of getting cancer from this, people that work at quick lubes come in contact with used oil 5 days a week.

Originally Posted By: Run
Actually used oil makes a decent stain for wood. Major drawback of course is it causes cancer.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was illegal, too. Hope he doesn't have well water. If so, his neighbors will sue the pants off of him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bbonez
What you you think all of the stains and water sealers are made from?

Acrylics, these days.

Not on well water but that wouldn't matter anyway. The stain was applied on saw horse over concrete with a tarp. My 1995 F250 7.3L leaks more oil then I used on this entire project. If you guys think the Comercial stains, weed killers, and pesticides are safer then this stuff you are wrong. My great great uncle died last month at 101 years old, he owned a gas station and garage back when these fluids were more "dangerous". Im surprised you would even leave your house with all the smog and other "dangerous" stuff outdoor.

My neighbor built a wood fence ~20 years ago when he had calves and painted the hardwood with used oil. It still looks good. I can't remember when he reapplied the last coating though, but it had to have been over 10 years ago.

Old school telephone poles as well as railroad ties are basically treated the same way.

They call creosote a "probable carcinogenic" ... hope the shipworms eating my pier posts get cancer 😡

The better Thompson water seal lasts about 5 years for me and actually kills some of the mildew so it changes from grey to brown/grey and looks rustic. The cheap oily Thompson just makes it dark grey and lasts way less ...
Oh, I'm using Wix 51085XP as transmission filter - the single pass rating does not bother me for that ...

My dad soaked wooden fence post butt ends in used motor oil before putting them in the ground. 44 years later that fence still stands, straight as ever.

I have no idea how durable the finish is but I will say it looks great! Reduce, reuse, and recycle!!! Much better than going into a landfill or being dumped on the ground.

Cheers,

Ryan

Nice filter and a clever way to recycle.

I prefer oil based stains with no acrylic sealer but I go the less hazardous route by using real wood stain. I use Cabot Australian Timber oil stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back