Douglas vs Goodyear Viva 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used pair of Goodyear Viva 3's. They both had right around 8/32" of tread, so they were close to new (assuming that they came with 9/32's when new, like most GY car tires).

They balanced out easily, and required minimal weight. Ride is good, noise level is more than acceptable.

Would I buy them again... or buy them new? Sure.

I had a like new Douglas tire from Wal-mart which quickly developed tire conicity or "radial pull".

I did not know what was going on so took the car in thinking I needed an alignment. The alignment guy showed me when he moved the tire from side to side the car would drift a different direction when he moved the Douglas. I know longer will use Douglas and consider them in the same bottom category as Primewell.

They are both OK at best. While I am driving mastercrafts on my older Equinox (which have been awesome for me) I would recommend going with some better than a Walmart only tire. Just my opinion

Goodyear. The Douglas are Wal-Mart specials. Had them once and the construction was so flimsy I thought I had bad tie rods.

That is true but Douglas is bargain bin [censored]. I had two on the front of my old 94 Century. broken belts, uneven wear, vehicle would pull/wander. Took it in for a suspension check and found out it was the tires.

Update: The Douglas tires have served me well in the past two years since purchasing a complete set on both my civic and Elantra. Mostly it has been dry weather driving in hot California, but also some wet conditions, even snow once. They ride fine, low noise, and also dealt with some abrupt stops on the freeway. They aren't top notch, and may not last as long as others, but I will definitely purchase another set of 4, for $235 or so, in the next year or so.

thanks amoryblaine for circling back to report useful update! im keeping an eye out on tires for my snowbird yaris. i had fine experiences twice with walmart gy vivas on a now-gone toyoya corolla and have been wondering about douglas tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back