Differences between Castrol Edge and Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, what are the differences between Edge and Magnatec?

I have been googling this site with various "key" phrases and words to find the answer and I haven't as of yet. So I apologize if this has been covered before.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Have you looked at the home page?
Select Motor Oil and go down to Motor Oils By Brand

Castrol Home Page

Sure have..Thanks for the link btw.

I don't want marketing jargon differences. I was looking for more in depth differences that BITOG can be good for.

Magnatec is a step over dino products. Edge is considered at higher level than that, same clinging ability (capabikity pretty normal in synthetics), less oxidation prone.

Now we gonna get some input...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OPR4H
Magnatec is a step over dino products. Edge is considered at higher level than that, same clinging ability, less oxidation prone.
This^^^^ + Magnatec has more vis at 100C.

Magnatec is advertised to have "clinging molecules", which is probably some form of esters. Edge does not advertise to have those molecules, but it pushes its "titanium" additive. I have tried Magnatec 0w20 and Edge 0w20 in the same engine. Going simply by cold weather performance, smoothness and quietness of the engine - I will take Magnatec over Edge any day. I do 5k OCI max, per OLM. In my experience Magnatec was performing a lot better than Edge. Edge had a lot of cold start valvetrain noises while Magnatec had none. Edge also lowered my MPG. Over 5 tanks Magnatec was returning 31mpg, while over the other 5 tanks Edge was returning 29mpg. Take it as you wish.
P.S. No it didn't take me 10 tanks to go through two OCIs. Those were just randomly picked tanks throughout the 5k OCI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Magnatec is advertised to have "clinging molecules", which is probably some form of esters. Edge does not advertise to have those molecules,
According to Castrol, it's Edge that has esters...

Quote:
Me: Your Magnatec oils include some kind of intelligent clinging molecules. Are the same molecules also present in your Edge line of oils?

Castrol: The two oils have different formulas. The EDGE unique chemical esters bond to engine parts. A thin oxide coating exists on the surface of metal components that can develop a positive charge due to electron localization. These chemical esters are designed to take advantage of this effect.

Thanks for posting that info, first time seeing it. But now I am in more confusion... How is the higher level oil perform worse in my engine than their mid-tier oil? Idk if that thought will let me fall asleep tonight...

. How is the higher level oil perform worse in my engine than their mid-tier oil?
You're assuming that more noises = worse performance.

More noises, more resistance during accelerations (probably viscosity related, even though both were 0w20), and worse fuel economy.

Last edited by a moderator:

More noises, more resistance during accelerations (probably viscosity related, even though both were 0w20), and worse fuel economy.
Which edge did you run? the edge extended performance is thicker than the regular edge. The magnatec is thinner at 40 than both and it's thicker at 100. So with short drives in cold weather the Magnatec could be better. I'm sure your experience is valid.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Which edge did you run? the edge extended performance is thicker than the regular edge. The magnatec is thinner at 40 than both and it's thicker at 100. So with short drives in cold weather the Magnatec could be better. I'm sure your experience is valid.

I ran Edge 0w20 Black Bottle. Also in the past I ran Edge 5w20 Gold Bottle, but results were closer to Magnatec, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back