Are Supertech oil and filters reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my wife's 2012 civic has lived on ST synthetic 5/20, and with over 120K, no issues. the OLM usually tells her to change around the 8K mark, but i change around the 15% left... it's a fine oil. nothing to be worried about.

Originally Posted By: JBinKC
Over the years I have seen quite a few past shortish UOAs on ST conventional shearing a grade to the high 20s using a 10W 30 similar to a level that is usually consistent with a with a name brand 5w-30 and have seen a couple 5w-30s shearing below 8 cST. The question is how quickly does it get out of grade. With respect to wearability it still met the expected standard which is really most consumers goal.

That's not operating at a 5w-30 instead of a 10w-30, though. The oil meets its SAE J300 requirements when new, and has certain viscometric properties in service, too. At "normal" temperatures, i.e. at 40 C, 100 C, and most temperatures that aren't stretching the the cold cranking properties of the oil, a 5w-30 and a 10w-30 are the same and have the same KV and HTHS requirements under SAE J300.

The mention of "5w-30" makes the comments confusing and misleading, since I doubt the cold cranking properties of the oil improved with use. If an oil sheared to a 20, fine. Additionally, there are 5w-30 oils that are significantly thicker at operating temperatures than an ordinary ILSAC 10w-30, too. The range of allowable viscosities is wide enough, and such products do exist on the market.

I used the Supertech Synthetic in my 98 Tacoma for several years. I started using it after the 100k miles mark and never had a problem with it. No leaks or burning at all. I have used ST filters on my F150 and It seems fine with the filter. No new noises when compared to MC filters. I don't think you will have any worries using it at all.

Thank you everybody! I appreciate your opinions! Does anybody know who manufacture the Supertech oil? Thank you! =]

my boyfriend is driving a 2016 nissan versa too! what do you think about it? =]

hey again, my boyfriend is driving a 2016 nissan versa too! what oil are you using for the car? :p

Originally Posted By: tina
Thank you everybody! I appreciate your opinions! Does anybody know who manufacture the Supertech oil? Thank you! =]

Where you are or south of me Super Tech oil is WPP/WNE or blended by good company
smile.gif

They make MAG1 oils

That may depend on the region of the country and the refinery/bottler may change by the month. Quality-wise, I still wouldn't be afraid to use it.

Nissan versa is such a good car! :p are you doing good with the supertech oil and oil filters? if yes i think i am going to tell my family to switch to supertech as it is a lot cheaper! :p

Nissan versa is such a good car! :p are you doing good with the supertech oil and oil filters? if yes i think i am going to tell my family to switch to supertech as it is a lot cheaper! :p

The versa will be fine on ST oil and filters. I've used it many times in my f150 and my gf's corolla.

Anyone have any under valve cover pics from extended ST use??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back