Napa conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Napa's online site tonight I noticed the blue bottle Napa oil now says Synthetic blend on them. Anyone know anything about this? Would it comparable to Valvoline Durablend?

It appears to just be the 5w-20 and 5w-30 grades. I think since those two weights are very, very common for alot of vehicle requirements- that they 'upped the ante' or gave a little extra to be nice.

The are still considered conventional I think. 10w-30 and up are still regular.

And NO, I don't think it has anything to do with DuraBlend.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
It appears to just be the 5w-20 and 5w-30 grades. I think since those two weights are very, very common for alot of vehicle requirements- that they 'upped the ante' or gave a little extra to be nice.

They haven't "up'd the ante" at all. VWB is also a syb blend in 5w-20 and 5w-30. Napa "conventional/synblend" is just repackaged VWB like it always has been. They took what Valvoline gave them and are marketing it.

Originally Posted by volk06
Originally Posted by mjoekingz28

They haven't "up'd the ante" at all. VWB is also a syb blend in 5w-20 and 5w-30. Napa "conventional/synblend" is just repackaged VWB like it always has been. They took what Valvoline gave them and are marketing it.
It's not the same. NAPA folks may say yes. But write, call, email or fax Ashland big-wigs and you will get a different answer.

I trust Ashland to say the truth.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

It's not the same. NAPA folks may say yes. But write, call, email or fax Ashland big-wigs and you will get a different answer.

I emailed Valvoline about this and all they claimed was that Valvoline would stand behind Napa since it is manufactured by Valvoline and it exceeds Chrysler licences. If you think Valvoline or any other companies make different formulas for each store that wants an oil product to compete with your brand then that is your opinion. I can't see any company making a special brew with millions spent on research just to lower the price then put there name or company at risk. Again my opinion. Look at UOA and it is within regular specs and formula of Valvoline. I am now running Napa synthetic blend 5w20 after lots of research before I step up to full synthetic. I no longer worry about the quality of Napa oil.

Napa conventional is VWB

Basically every SN "dino" is a synthetic blend since at least some group III content is needed to meet the more stringent standards.

VWB is not Dexos

Durablend is Dexos in 5w-30

Regular maxlife is Dexos in 5w-20 and 5w-30

Syn maxlife and VSP are all Dexos (0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30)

Regular Maxlife is not Dexos. I wanted a high mileage oil for Impala and only Maxlife High Mileage is available that I have found.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I emailed Valvoline about this and all they claimed was that Valvoline would stand behind Napa since it is manufactured by Valvoline and it exceeds Chrysler licences. If you think Valvoline or any other companies make different formulas for each store that wants an oil product to compete with your brand then that is your opinion. I can't see any company making a special brew with millions spent on research just to lower the price then put there name or company at risk. Again my opinion. Look at UOA and it is within regular specs and formula of Valvoline. I am now running Napa synthetic blend 5w20 after lots of research before I step up to full synthetic. I no longer worry about the quality of Napa oil.

Depends. It's a big company. I could see it go either way where they might have their own formula in order to differentiate house branded product from their own branded product. Then a separate one they make available for house brands. But they could save on that extra cost by not making multiple versions. Even then, does Ashland do anything other than buy some additive pack from Lubrizol, BASF, Afton, Oronite, etc?

I'm not sure developing a new oil is all that difficult or costly. The big motor oil companies will formulate specific oils just for one racing team. I thought that the big cost was in qualifying them with all the sequence tests.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Valvoline split off from Ashland quite a while back. No sense in contacting them.

Thanks for sharing.

For one isn't Ashland is Valvolive and it's like Mag-1 and Supertech it's the so close to the same batch variances are further from baseline then the two lables.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

Depends. It's a big company. I could see it go either way where they might have their own formula in order to differentiate house branded product from their own branded product. Then a separate one they make available for house brands. But they could save on that extra cost by not making multiple versions. Even then, does Ashland do anything other than buy some additive pack from Lubrizol, BASF, Afton, Oronite, etc?

I'm not sure developing a new oil is all that difficult or costly. The big motor oil companies will formulate specific oils just for one racing team. I thought that the big cost was in qualifying them with all the sequence tests.

No it's all about $$$ and it's far less expensive not to blend all the same and you hit the nail on the head. It's a commodity.

Last edited:

Nowhere did you show Valvoline Inc says it's the same. Standing behind NAPA only means NAPA is licensed and within spec.
That guy says absolutely nothing that both are the same.

The reason why he says nothing?...... because both aren't the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back