Residential vs Industrial exterior paints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference?

Why is one for "industrial use only"? For example the paint I buy from NOW(National Oil Well) are far better(Tnemec brand) than paints I can get from Ace Hardware or Do-it-Best stores.

Last edited:
Maybe industrial paints are formulated better but have VOC's that require proper handling out of the scope of homeowners.

Take a look at the ingredients. I think they still use lead paint in some exterior applications. Can't use that in residential applications. Lead paint was really good, that's why it was so popular for so long before it was finally banned.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Is it the same type of paint? Latex? Alkyd? Epoxy? Urethane? Etc.

Aluminum paint for oil field tank batteries/propane tanks.

Last edited:
I have access to industrial use only products at work, but am no expert on the OP's question. I would imagine that there are many reasons, but most revolve around consumer,product, and mfg. liability. Sometimes the only difference between the two products is the actual printed labeling on the container. In other instances, the industrial product requires a more trained person to use it correctly for various reasons: safety, applicability/success, application equipment, etc.. At a hardware store, the consumer only has to decide which color of Rustoleum they want. With an industrial product, they may have to decide on a dozen or more different primer, topcoat,and additive choices and a dozen different ways to apply it. Consumer products tend to be dumbed down to meet the needs of the audience at hand. Consumers often don't recognize the value of a product that is initially much more expensive.

Again, there are many reasons. And, "industrial use only" does not always guarantee a better product. Contractor grade materials are often marginal products offered to professionals that need something just "good enough" for the situation at hand. The term "idiot proof" comes to mind when I compare consumer vs. industrial grade products.

Yeah VOC's, first off its safer to have the home owner using it, as they will never paint a huge battle ship or aircraft carrier, nor a huge steel bridge and that is all done outside, with zero concern about VOC or anything else.
You will never see kids water colors used on any of those items. Because the water will cause under surface rust or freeze blisters from trapped water, thus peeling, I see it on water painted cars all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back