BMW OE 0W40 M Twin Power Turbo Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly I could not find any info about this oil here.

As the title states, it is BMW 0W40 M Twin Power Turbo.

It is an ACEA A3/B4, LL-01 oil. I can't find anyone else that makes a readily available 0W40 LL-01, LL-04 yes, but not -01. This is the spec oil for 2013 up M cars (M3,M4, X5M, etc)

I like the fact it is a 0W, should be better for cold starts (I live in Canada). This will be for my 2013 135i (N55 motor), daily driver and some track stuff. Currently have the OE PPK tune on it (330/330), but will likely get the Dinan tune (around 360/400) on it soon. I usually change my oil every 6000 km, but may start going to 8000 km OCI. I get cost from a local dealer, so it would be the same price as running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Anybody ever have this stuff tested to see what the specs are, or know the specs?

Last edited:
They used to sell that at my local BMW dealer but not anymore, it was replaced by... I forget (because I don't buy it). The 0W-40 has been discontinued, hasn't it? Is your source just old stock?

I don't believe anyone knows anything about that oil besides the certifications listed on the bottle. As far as I know no OEM oils publish any sort of ancillary properties. If you need a Longlife-01 oil and your dealer has that oil for a decent price then use it.

What about Castrol 0W-40? That carries Longlife-01.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I see it's made in the USA, I wonder who makes it for them. Things that make you go Hmmm.....

BMW is now supplied by Shell, so it will be a Shell/Pennzoil oil of some kind. But I can't find a 0W40 LL-01 oil made by either of those companies. (shrug)

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
BMW is now supplied by Shell, so it will be a Shell/Pennzoil oil of some kind. But I can't find a 0W40 LL-01 oil made by either of those companies. (shrug)

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 has Longlife-01. A lot harder to find and more expensive than the Castrol 0W-40, but you can get it if you really want to (Amazon, etc.) but no, there is no 0W- product.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 has Longlife-01. A lot harder to find and more expensive than the Castrol 0W-40, but you can get it if you really want to (Amazon, etc.) but no, there is no 0W- product.

Exactly. No 0W. Very easy to get the Euro 5W40 here, as Canadian Tire carries it, and there are 3 locations within 5 min of my house.

Exactly. No 0W. Very easy to get the Euro 5W40 here, as Canadian Tire carries it, and there are 3 locations within 5 min of my house.

You are going to see a difference only at extremely low temperatures. My old BMW lives most of its life up in northern Wisconsin where it can drop to -35 Fahrenheit or lower. Would it make a difference there? Maybe. When my BMW was built there weren't any 0W- oils and these cars lived all over the world and would obviously start. I'm pretty sure it would here in Wisconsin using a 5W- oil as well. If you plot out the viscosity difference between the two grades it only deviates at the extreme and even then not by that much. The huge battery in my E34 is up to the task I think
wink.gif

They used to sell that at my local BMW dealer but not anymore, it was replaced by... I forget (because I don't buy it). The 0W-40 has been discontinued, hasn't it? Is your source just old stock?

I don't believe anyone knows anything about that oil besides the certifications listed on the bottle. As far as I know no OEM oils publish any sort of ancillary properties. If you need a Longlife-01 oil and your dealer has that oil for a decent price then use it.

What about Castrol 0W-40? That carries Longlife-01.

Not sure about old stock, it only came out when they switched to Shell instead of Castrol recently, and it is the oil recommended for only the newer 2013+ M cars.

I could be wrong on that though. I hope not.

Last edited:
Why not get Castrol 0W-40? Or is it a pricing issue for Canadians?

Honestly, I just don't like Castrol. Never have. No real reason for it. And finding the "German" specific version seems to be a challenge here.

Which of these would be the German made stuff?

Canadian Tire Castrol Synthetics

Last edited:
Last edited:
Which of these would be the German made stuff?

Well I couldn't tell what is the correct one from that site. Here in the US it is the Edge 0W-40, and it is now made in Belgium BTW. But it is whichever one carries Longlife-01.

It's also about half that price here too. You guys get the... shaft on that pricing.

It's also about half that price here too. You guys get the... shaft on that pricing.

You have no idea. I can actually buy the OE BMW 0W40 for less.

My dealer sells the BMW branded oil for about $8.50 a quart now, it used to be less but they bumped it up. That is around half what Castrol 0W-40 costs at Walmart.

I do buy my filters there as they have a good price on them. Amusingly the one time I did ask them about buying the oil too he said I should just go to Walmart and buy Mobil 1 0W-40 as (at the time it still) met Longlife-01. I'd have to have forced him to sell me the oil.

Honestly, I just don't like Castrol. Never have. No real reason for it. And finding the "German" specific version seems to be a challenge here.

Any of the Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4 stuff you see on the shelf at Canadian Tire is LL-01 approved, and is something like $30 a jug right now. Country of origin is irrelevant. The specifications are relevant. If the BMW dealership can give you their stuff for $6 a litre, then it's a wash.

My dealer sells the BMW branded oil for about $8.50 a quart now. That is around half what Castrol 0W-40 costs at Walmart.

That would make the Castrol $17/qt.
eek.gif

I think you meant "twice".
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back