Are Supertech oil and filters reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I would like to say thanks for your advice for my car a few months ago.

Now I come up to a new question: Is Supertech oil sold in Walmart stores reliable? I can see it has the API certification. 5 quarts of Supertech synthetic only costs around 17-18 dollars, while Pennzoil, Castrol costs around 23-25. Would my car become not long-lasting if I switch to Supertech oil? (Nissan Sentra 2016 bought brand new last year)
One more thing is that how about the Supertech oil filters? Are they reliable compared to Mobil?

Thank you! =]

PQIA testing shows it can compete with many other name brand oils on the shelf. Not sure about their oil filters. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

Nothing wrong with SuperTech oil. It is fine for the factory-specified OCI, including in cars that have an OLM. Use it in almost any non-European car with no problems
smile.gif

The ST oil filters are made by Wix and the same as Napa Proselect. They are of good quality. They may not be quite as good as M1, but they are definitely not bad filters at all, one of the better economy tier filters.

Your Sentra will be fine with Walmart brand oil and filter
smile.gif

Oil filters are made by Wix, and are pretty much the same as NAPA Pro-select filters.

Supertech Syn and Supertech Filters will work for the life of most vehicles going by factory change intervals.

If it was not for clearance and sales on oil and filters, I would be using ST oil and filters (and are my go to filter when I need a filter I don't have).

I use SuperTech high mileage oil and a SuperTech oil filter in my sisters 94' Camry. It has over 200K on it. I tried Maxlife in it once and it still leaked oil, so I switched to SuperTech which still leaks-no more no less.

SuperTech is a reliable brand. I am running ST made by Warren and it's been good so far. I felt confident running this in my Infiniti after seeing how it is a highly regarded oil by the members of BITOG.

I have never used the ST filters, but by all accounts, it too appears to be fine for use. It appears to be a NAPA Pro Select clone.

Use both the oil and filter with confidence.

I ran supertech exclusively in my 01 saab with the v6. Never used their filters im a fram guy. But if as someone said the filters are equal to the pro select from napa then my answer would be never for those. Napa gold is fine however

ST is all my brother will use in all his cars. His 2005/06? Dodge Grand Caravan has over 350,000 miles, and ST is all he runs in it. Just burnt a valve on cylinder 6 recently, so he is going to junk it. It's in bad shape body wise because my nephews have done a number on it learning to drive. He paid cash for a 2014 Toyota Corolla that has 50,000 miles on it, and I am sure he will put SuperTech in it too.

IMO ST oil is as good as any other mid-level-conventional, in other words, I'd use it.

My recent experience with their FILTERS on the other hand, wasn't good. I was going to wait till I learn to post pictures here, but for now, I can tell you the media on a used (100miles)ST oil filter was as brittle & crumbly as the old Purolator filters--really, really, bad. I had purchased 5 filters to use in an engine flush procedure for a distant relative's Camry. After running it 100 miles I opened up the filter and the media just about crumbled in my fingers. I purchased Fram replacements #3600 and used those to finish up. I will never use ST filters again.

Steve

I think it's good, I just don't like not knowing if they switch who their supplier is. Everybody always has to speculate when things like that happen..which you don't have to do with like Napa's house brand oil. Says Valvoline right on the bottle. Parts Plus has Amalie right on their bottle. No question about where they get "their" oil from. I don't trust anything but Wix or Napa filters personally. There may be a couple of bucks difference in a supertech and a Napa Gold, but I know that Wix makes great filters by most people's standards (and that's all they do too).

I have never used ST oil, but some years ago I used to use ST filters on one of the motorcycles. Seems to me back then the ST filters were made at Champion Labs but don't really recall.

Used to have a neighbor that used ST oil & filters and he neglected on most OCIs, but seems to never had any issues oil wise.

Used ST syn and conventional oil here and there in some of my cars, I'm considering using it again once the Tundra's M1 stash is out, and I may even try the HM in the Accord which burns a little; no qualms and find it works great and I'd feel just fine using it in your new Nissan.

Filter, however, is where I'd go with an OEM Nissan filter, at least the duration of the warranty.

No experience running ST oil .
But I'm running an ST3614 oil filter on my Vibe - 4k miles.
No issues.
Good jobber filter for the money.

Last edited:
ST/Peak Oil is acceptable if you take the approach the conventional oil tends to show longer term properties that operate at one grade thinner than is advertised on the bottle I.e 10w-30 more like a 5w-30 of a better brand at a similar point of time in use.

It has no effect on engine wear ability but some effect to the oil' s relative durability. I think it's oil better designed for short trip drivers.

The revamped filter design looks like it is constructed well ( similar to a low end Wix).

Agree with the others.
Its a SN rated oil and just as good as anything else, unless proven otherwise, which will never happen as, again, it is a SN approved oil.
Click here, Supertech PQIA

Oil filters, ehh, its a low cost filter that will do the job just the same as the name brand low cost filters, its up to you if you want to pay more for something more robust.

Originally Posted By: JBinKC
ST/Peak Oil is acceptable if you take the approach the conventional oil tends to show longer term properties that operate at one grade thinner than is advertised on the bottle I.e 10w-30 more like a 5w-30 of a better brand at a similar point of time in use.

How so? I've heard of oils slipping a grade in the other direction when it comes to the 5w- or 10w- part, as in a 5w-XX slipping to a 10w-XX in use, but never the reverse. And we already know that at operating temperatures, a 5w-30 and a 10w-30 of the same specification have almost identical HTHS to begin with.

Over the years I have seen quite a few past shortish UOAs on ST conventional shearing a grade to the high 20s using a 10W 30 similar to a level that is usually consistent with a with a name brand 5w-30 and have seen a couple 5w-30s shearing below 8 cST. The question is how quickly does it get out of grade. With respect to wearability it still met the expected standard which is really most consumers goal.

With respect to personal use I have used enough WPP branded oils to know it tends to pour much thinner out of the bottle than other brands of conventional at the same grade.

If I have to raise a question is it ethical to label an oil a certain grade when at a point in time within car manufacturers suggested oil interval it will clearly not meet all of those expected parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back