Pennzoil 0w20 vs Mobil 1 0w20 - application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up an Infiniti Red Sport 400 with a 3.0 twin turbo V6. The manual recommends 0w20, but says, "as an alternative to the recommended 0w20, a conventional 5w30 may be used in its place..."

I'm in the midwest, for what it's worth. I was leaning towards picking up the best 0w20. Now, I realize 0w20's claim to fame is fuel economy, so I wanted to pick up one that can withstand a needs of a 400 horsepower twin turbo engine with concerns for high heat, LSPI, etc.

1) It may be splitting hairs, but what would you recommend versus Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1? I reference these as they are readily available and extremely affordable. Is one rated for higher heat? One at a slightly better viscosity for a turbo?

2) A fellow Red Sport owner had a UOA done on his oil after a 1,000 mile drain. Not sure if you can infer what Infiniti had in their engines as part of the factory fill. What would be closest to this oil? I'm assuming the high moly is traditional versus the trinuclear present in the Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

Q60S%201st%20Oil%20Analysis_zpsaa7mihz5.jpg

Looks like the factory fill has a robust moly add pack, I would leave it in for at least 2500 miles.
I would go 5W-30 Mobil 1 after that - iirc, it has a lower calcium add which could help with LSPI.

If that Infiniti is made in Japan, then the factory fill is most likely Idemitsu since they make the FF oils for all the major brands there. If you are thinking of sticking with that type of oil, the Idemitsu Mazda Moly oil would be a good one to start with.

Edit: I take that back about the Owner's Manual language about using 5w-30 as a substitute. Interestingly, the 2016 manual for this car has that language and the 2017 (which I own) manual does not. Granted, may not be a big deal, but I want to stick with warranty requirements

Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 and Shell Rotella Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 would both technically meet the requirements for this vehicle, since, assuming the manual wording hasn't been changed, ILSAC is only an option, not required. You get your elevated HTHS, if that's a concern, and still meet SN.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd be curious to see what that car specs for other parts of the world. Japan,Australia,etc.

When they don't have the same oils generally available that we do, you might as well check the price of tea in China...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back