2015 BMW 328d, 5000 miles, Dealer Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
So BITOG crew, this doesn't look too good. This is my new 2015 BMW 328d. The car sat unsold for a year but the dealer did change the oil (I have the records) shortly before I bought it.

20170304_UOA_at_5030_Miles.jpg

For good measure I replaced the engine air filter. Thoughts?

Last edited:
That is a really odd report, I would say well beyond what is normal for break in.

Thanks for fixing the image size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Is it just me or is the zinc really low, or is it the low saps thing?

It's a low-SAPS oil.

These look like break-in metals to me. The EcoDiesel has similar results. Don't panic. Get another UOA at 10,000.

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest

For good measure I replaced the engine air filter. Thoughts?

What are you measuring? You should replace the tires too, for good measure.
Sarcasm aside, the only thing you can get out of a UOA from an engine this young is fuel dilution and viscosity, TBN. I would not even trust those numbers with all that [censored] floating in the oil. Let the engine settle, the UOA was a waste.

It is pretty thin, probably 0W20 FE oil.
In my X5 35d I ran Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W30 (an ACEA E6 oil, HTHS~3.7) for several OCIs, Fe levels and TBNs were better than LL-04 oil. Now I am deleted and expect much better wear numbers with absent EGR, may try Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 (ACEA B3/B4)

Charlie

Id imagine its still breaking in, I wouldn't worry until a few reports don't show a change. I thought most diesels don't "break in" until 40k, but that may be an internet tale i read on the TDi forums.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
It is pretty thin, probably 0W20 FE oil.

It's supposed to be a 5W-30. It's not impossible that the dealer put 0W-20 in it if that's what the dealer had lying around.

That is some troublesome UOA. First of all, oil is too thin! After 5K LL-04 5W30 should not go below 11, maybe 10.5. I would not be surprised if they put 0W20. If they did indeed put LL-04, and it seems that is possibility considering some additive numbers, then maybe fuel dilution is an issue.
Try to do UOA at 10K, and use Mobil1 5W30 ESP or some other LL-04 oil and see.

I think you should have passed on doing a UOA on the factory/dealer fill oil on a brand new diesel engine and saved yourself the stress.
If you didnt do it, you wouldnt have known anything and chances are its not abnormal. :eek:)

I think it is fine unless you can compare the same exact vehicle with the same "break in" oil and a UOA to show something different and even then if it was different still wouldnt change my mind much as its a brand new engine with original oil/dealer oil..

Last edited:
What do BMW say the interval is for this engine in the US?

My Father has the same 185bhp 2.0 diesel engine in a 2012 3 series in the UK but it's called the 320d. BMW suggest an LL-04 oil and 18,000miles or 2 year intervals which I think is lunacy.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I think you should have passed on doing a UOA on the factory/dealer fill oil on a brand new diesel engine and saved yourself the stress.
If you didnt do it, you wouldnt have known anything and chances are its not abnormal. :eek:)

I think it is fine unless you can compare the same exact vehicle with the same "break in" oil and a UOA to show something different and even then if it was different still wouldnt change my mind much as its a brand new engine with original oil/dealer oil..

+1,0000 People should wait until 25-50k miles if they want to perform a UOA. The OP wasted his $$ if he's worried about the results.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet the dealer put the wrong oil in it. Same thing happened to me with my MB ML 320 cdi. You will see a difference when you use the proper esp oil. I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back