Carquest Red oil filter... just about cried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Friday, got to try out my new Jasper engine for the first time.... looked underneath at the oil filter to see what the shop installed... a Carquest Red. Sadly, I wasn't surprised.

I fully realize it is only going to be on there for 500 miles... but a $3.99 oil filter on a $4,000 engine? I sure hope that the Red wasn't sourced from Purolator.

When it goes in for its 500 mile oil change, I think I'll take an ACDelco Classic (non e-core) for them to install instead. I plan to change the oil again at the 1,500 mile mark as well.

At the 5,000 mile mark, it will get Pennzoil Platinum (or the new Rotella T6 5w-30... if that unicorn ever appears).

You could put a motorcraft on it for $3.49. Last time I checked unless I'm way off $4,000.00 for an engine is cheap. It's like $15,000 for the engine in my truck

And if they would have put a $20 oil filter on it we'd be hearing about how they wasted your money with such an expensive oil filter for just 500 miles. Seriously-find something worthwhile to worry about.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Last Friday, got to try out my new Jasper engine for the first time.... looked underneath at the oil filter to see what the shop installed... a Carquest Red. Sadly, I wasn't surprised.

I fully realize it is only going to be on there for 500 miles... but a $3.99 oil filter on a $4,000 engine? I sure hope that the Red wasn't sourced from Purolator.

When it goes in for its 500 mile oil change, I think I'll take an ACDelco Classic (non e-core) for them to install instead. I plan to change the oil again at the 1,500 mile mark as well.

At the 5,000 mile mark, it will get Pennzoil Platinum (or the new Rotella T6 5w-30... if that unicorn ever appears).
Perish the thought.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
And if they would have put a $20 oil filter on it we'd be hearing about how they wasted your money with such an expensive oil filter for just 500 miles. Seriously-find something worthwhile to worry about.

Yep. I mean it's only going to be on there for 500 lousy miles! Sheesh!

If it makes you feel better, there's vintage Ferrari guys who proudly sport Fram OCODs in their engine bays, and the Lexus LFA comes factory with 2 $10 Japanese Denso filters that Toyota used to sell here.

It's not like they used a Chinese filter, either.

Purolator is still the go to for many people including shops. Just think about how many aren't aware of their QC failures.

It should be able to last 500 miles, but I wouldn't run it any more than that personally. Get a low tiered WIX or Fram if you want something cheap, but reliable.

Doesn't the engine come with a warranty? If there was engine trouble related to the filter it would be on them and not you. I would use the oil and filter as they recommend and not sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back