Milwaukee m18 "high-torque" impact $199

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have to jump on that. I am somewhat invested in the Home Depot 18V Ridgid stuff and was looking at adding the bare tool impact wrench at $120, but that is rated at 325 ft-lbs. For a little more, I can grab this better tool with batteries.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been using the M12 for a couple years and this is the push needed to go M18. I used my Chase Visa to get 3% back. Too bad the offer ends tomorrow since Discover is offering 5% cash back at home improvement stores starting April.

I bought the same deal last year, but I got the detent pin model. Have not come across a bolt so far it won't remove. Not tried any crank bolts yet though, but plenty of rusty suspension bolts. Pulls lugs right off that have been torqued to 100 ft lbs easily. The only thing I don't like about it is when you let off the trigger it keeps spinning for a second or two. It's heavy!

I know it says it's rated for 450 ft lbs, but pretty sure the insert inside of my box had 700 ft lbs of nut busting torque. Max fastening torque is 450 ft lbs. Found the Milwaukee comparison pdf.

https://cdn.milwaukeetool.com/~/media/US/PDFs/2763.pdf

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I bought the same deal last year, but I got the detent pin model. Have not come across a bolt so far it won't remove. Not tried any crank bolts yet though, but plenty of rusty suspension bolts. Pulls lugs right off that have been torqued to 100 ft lbs easily. The only thing I don't like about it is when you let off the trigger it keeps spinning for a second or two. It's heavy!

I know it says it's rated for 450 ft lbs, but pretty sure the insert inside of my box had 700 ft lbs of nut busting torque. Max fastening torque is 450 ft lbs. Found the Milwaukee comparison pdf.

Nvm

Last edited:
Believe me I was tempted because I have a couple other Milwaukee tools
I could have craiglisted my dewalt impact to cover this easily.

If it helps out one person I'm glad I posted it
smile.gif

Its awful but I have 3 different brands of tools. I'd like to get to 1 brand.
I gave away some other tools so now just
a couple milwaukee, a bosch drill and an impact driver, and the big dewalt impact wrench DCF899B

The nice thing about the dewalt is it has 3 power settings. setting 3 is "stud buster"
and setting 1 is perfect for tightening lug nuts. You let it hammer for 2-3 seconds and it will be around 70lb-ft every time perfect for 1/8 to 1/4 turn with the torque wrench final tighten.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

unfortunately your link is for the "fuel" model. that runs $300+ and brushless motor.

this deal is the non-fuel 4pole high torque motor model.

Look at the comparison chart further down in that PDF link for the 2663 which is non-Fuel, and the impact that is being discussed.

Nice catch I did miss that.

"nut busting torque" is marketing. its not just "more powerful in reverse"
the testing methodology what little there is....is different.

Kind of like "peak watts and rms watts" in car audio.

I'm not arguing its a bad tool.. just saying "nut busting torque" is inflated from reality.
by some manufacturers more than others... since they dont test it in the same way between manufacturers.

Is there really *any* standard for measuring the torque rating of impact gun? I mean if you are persistent enough, it can eventually loosen a fastener. I have yet to see any specification which gives the time th gun is impacting and the effective torque it is applying.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is there really *any* standard for measuring the torque rating of impact gun? I mean if you are persistent enough, it can eventually loosen a fastener. I have yet to see any specification which gives the time th gun is impacting and the effective torque it is applying.

There is but the manufacturers dont list or use it.

but the nut busting torque thing is basically marketing.

you take a Warm Clean GREASED bolt and tighten it to 700lb-ft
Then this impact would remove it. since real bolts you are trying to remove
arent brand new, warm, and greased... Keeping in mind that this gun itself wont tighten it to the 700lb-ft even with a warm clean greased bolt.

And that is why nut busting torque is just a marketing number.

The max forward and reverse torque is basically how tight you could tighten a clean greased bolt too.. and is usually a fairly conservative number.
The dynamic torque or how hard each impact actually is... is much less.. and never listed or used.

I was trying to google a reference to this.. and this guy on youtube has a great way of explaining it.

of course this is all far off topic
smile.gif

and its not a negative against this impact.. everyone in the business does it to some degree.

Just like all speaker manufacturers use both PEAK and RMS Watt ratings.. but some inflate more than others.

Very interesting, of course the thing missing is the torque as the tool wears and ages. Probably a lot harder to Quantify but any of the tools on the market will do the job new.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Believe me I was tempted because I have a couple other Milwaukee tools
I could have craiglisted my dewalt impact to cover this easily.

If it helps out one person I'm glad I posted it
smile.gif

Its awful but I have 3 different brands of tools. I'd like to get to 1 brand.
I gave away some other tools so now just
a couple milwaukee, a bosch drill and an impact driver, and the big dewalt impact wrench DCF899B

The nice thing about the dewalt is it has 3 power settings. setting 3 is "stud buster"
and setting 1 is perfect for tightening lug nuts. You let it hammer for 2-3 seconds and it will be around 70lb-ft every time perfect for 1/8 to 1/4 turn with the torque wrench final tighten.

I have gotten to just Milwaukee M18 tools.

Now to sell my older Dewalt XPR tools (or whats left).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back