Looking for a good American made battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Duralast gold from 11-2010 and its been flawless except now it is starting to seep acid from the positive terminal and being as its almost 7 years old I don't want to take a chance.

I was going to get a new Duralast, however I am having trouble finding out where different batteries are made. It deems the Duralast is made by Johnson control, but where is the question. It is so frustrating, why can they just not mark the battery to show where its made.

I asked auto zone and the people at the store don't know, and corporate responded with some generic drivel that didn't answer my question.

I found Napa branded batteries stamped with Made in USA, but they are maintenance free and I don't mind adding water which I am convinced helps the battery last longer, plus the guy that owns our local Napa is a tool, and I have pretty much quit going there.

Any ideas?

Its important to me to buy American, but sometimes it can be so hard. I figure if its not plastered on the package its probably not.
Thanks

East Penn and Johnson Controls are the only nationally distributed car batteries that are made in the USA. Both of them manufacture batteries for many retailers, as you know, and in EP's case; their house brand which is DEKA. Exide ran to Mexico after their US battery operation went bankrupt due to poor quality. There are a few smaller regional battery manufacturers, but you have to search for them.
I appreciate your desire to support American manufacturing, and I do the same myself.

Batteries+ sell Duracell branded East Penn batteries, and I think Sam's Club does too.

NAPA and O'Reily batteries are (or were) East Penn as well.

You can buy Deka online, haven't seen them in stores.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
East Penn and Johnson Controls are the only nationally distributed car batteries that are made in the USA. Both of them manufacture batteries for many retailers, as you know, and in EP's case; their house brand which is DEKA. Exide ran to Mexico after their US battery operation went bankrupt due to poor quality. There are a few smaller regional battery manufacturers, but you have to search for them.
I appreciate your desire to support American manufacturing, and I do the same myself.

I thought all Johnson Controls were Mexico or Saudi made.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I thought all Johnson Controls were Mexico or Saudi made.

Depends on the application but some are certainly still made here.

I believe that O'Reilly Superstart batteries are made by East Penn as are Napa, however Napa warranty seems to be shorter if that is something you are concerned about.

I see you're in Indiana.

Big R (if you have one locally) should have Deka. I want to say Rural King does too.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
I have a Duralast gold from 11-2010 and its been flawless except now it is starting to seep acid from the positive terminal and being as its almost 7 years old I don't want to take a chance.

I was going to get a new Duralast, however I am having trouble finding out where different batteries are made. It deems the Duralast is made by Johnson control, but where is the question. It is so frustrating, why can they just not mark the battery to show where its made.

I asked auto zone and the people at the store don't know, and corporate responded with some generic drivel that didn't answer my question.

I found Napa branded batteries stamped with Made in USA, but they are maintenance free and I don't mind adding water which I am convinced helps the battery last longer, plus the guy that owns our local Napa is a tool, and I have pretty much quit going there.

Any ideas?

Its important to me to buy American, but sometimes it can be so hard. I figure if its not plastered on the package its probably not.
Thanks

Have you considered batteries from East Penn-Deka? http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com. You should have better luck finding them in Indiana.

If you were on the West Coast I would tell you that chances are high your battery would be made in Mexico. Many sold and installed out here are. That would include Interstate Batteries (made by Johnson Controls) and Sears Die Hard. Advance Auto Parts and CarQuest are Johnson Control batteries too. FWIW, the Mexico battery plant has received a lot of quality awards.

I have had good luck with my AAA Auto Club battery which at the time of purchase 4 years ago was a private label battery for AAA by Interstate made by Johnson Controls. Notably, I later learned that Interstate was not using "POWERFRAME® GRID TECHNOLOGY", a superior battery manufacturing process according to Johnson Controls. Next time I will get my battery at CarQuest in order to get that innovative battery technology.

Johnson Controls http://www.powerframe.com/en-us

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

Any ideas?

Thanks

This article may be more responsive to your question: https://www.b4usa.com/interstate-battery/

"Interstate Battery
Updated, January 19, 2016 by contributing editors. "Search America 1st"
Always verify USA Origin

Automobile Battery, Commercial Truck Battery, Automotive Batteries, Small Engine / Lawn Mower Battery

The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone. From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States.

See other companies that manufacture batteries in the USA. Click Here

Interstate Batteries® supplies vehicle batteries for Automobiles, Commercial Trucks and Small Engines. Since 1952 their SLI batteries (starting, lighting, ignition) have been purchased by thousands of car owners. “We do have some batteries manufactured in Mexico but not all of them. We have several plants located here in the US located in the North, East, South and West. If a battery is manufactured in Mexico it is required by law to have a sticker on the top of it that says “Made in Mexico”. If there is not sticker, it is made in the USA.”

Every Interstate battery is “backed by the Outrageously Dependable® service, quality and value you’ve come to trust from Interstate. With a distribution system of nearly 300 Distributors and 1,200 route trucks, servicing more than 200,000 dealers across the U.S. in our network, we are positioned to provide the best service and availability of our products.” If a replacement battery is required, Interstate’s batteries can be returned to any Interstate dealer in the U.S. for warranty service.

Find an Interstate Batteries dealer Local Dealer Here.

Since their major automotive battery manufacturer is an American company with locations worldwide, approximately 98% of the automotive batteries Interstate sells are made in the USA. With the exception of the power sport batteries (motorcycle, jet skis, ATV’s, etc) the automotive batteries and small engine / lawn mower batteries are made in the USA."

Originally Posted By: csx7006
Northstar batteries . They are made in Springfield Missouri

Yes! Just had one installed in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was amazed at their specs. P

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Hmmm. I wish we could get Japanese made Panasonic batteries here.

I know that back in 2004 when I had my Mazda Protege, the dealer sold Panasonic batteries. They may still.......

Originally Posted By: ClarkSuper100
Interstate Batteries® supplies vehicle batteries for Automobiles, Commercial Trucks and Small Engines. Since 1952 their SLI batteries (starting, lighting, ignition) have been purchased by thousands of car owners. “We do have some batteries manufactured in Mexico but not all of them. We have several plants located here in the US located in the North, East, South and West. If a battery is manufactured in Mexico it is required by law to have a sticker on the top of it that says “Made in Mexico”. If there is not sticker, it is made in the USA."

Thanks for confirming what many suspected, as they should have to state it clearly. Still, like 5AcresAndAFool said, it should have a Made In USA sticker anyway.
Sounds like most batteries we get will be made in the U.S. Duralast very likely in the U.S., so buy that one. Your last one lasted 7 years, not bad at all, and I've had good luck with those.

Originally Posted By: Lightninrod
Originally Posted By: csx7006
Northstar batteries . They are made in Springfield Missouri
Yes! Just had one installed in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was amazed at their specs. P
Cool, never heard of that one. Nice website http://www.northstarbattery.com/transportation-batteries , should be able to find about any size. Their website says they are made in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back