J.D. Power: Michelin is #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelins that came with my Ridgeline were awesome. Regret getting the General Grabbers that I replaced them with after 75k miles. Wish they made Pilot SS in my Civic's size.

I imagine the drive wheels would suffer greatly with that tread design. But the Sumi's took care of that part.
Not trying to [censored] on the Michelin brand, I have seen a lot of good reviews, but that's just one tire on one car. I'll give Michelin a try again sure, just not at 1.25k.

Michelin has bad runs of product and Ive been caught up in it once.

My OEM Michelin Energy tires, were ok,

My second set were horrible, they wore unevenly despite regular rotations, and wether checked severely in three years- junk.
It seemed like a different formulation it was so much worse than my first set.

My third set I switched to Premiers A/S's and really like them, even better than my first set of energys.
Beautiful quiet supple but firm enough ride, and great handling braking tire- especially when wet.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Michelin has bad runs of product and Ive been caught up in it once.

My OEM Michelin Energy tires, were ok,

My second set were horrible, they wore unevenly despite regular rotations, and wether checked severely in three years- junk.
It seemed like a different formulation it was so much worse than my first set.

My third set I switched to Premiers A/S's and really like them, even better than my first set of energys.
Beautiful quiet supple but firm enough ride, and great handling braking tire- especially when wet.

UD

I too experienced bad wear pattern. Had to pump 45f/52r psi to keep the sides from chewing off.

Lots of misunderstanding here. Allow me to clear it up.

The JD Powers tire survey is an off-shoot of their new car survey. It is done at the same time and with the same people.

So it is a survey of OEM tires - but it is also a survey of how well the consumer liked the car. I remember looking at the very first survey some 30 years ago and it was obvious then that there was a *halo effect* - if the consumer liked the car, they liked the tires.

Soooooo,

Because Michelin can afford to be picky about which car they get sourced on, they can pick and choose cars that are going to result in happy customers.

No, Michelin has to provide tires to the OEM specs - and the specs are the same for EVERY tire supplier - BUT - Not all the specs are the same for every car (truck), so once again, Michelin can pick and choose.

The fact that Firestone is delineated out as different than Bridgestone kind of shows how unsophisticated the survey is. Bridgestone gets to pick which car gets which brand - and I would guess that they reserve the [censored] brand (pun intended!) for the higher end vehicles. I am sure all the other tire suppliers do the same thing.

One of the really weird things is that a tire supplier can supply the same exact tire to 2 different platforms and get completely different results.

And because Michelin has a certain image, it does well in these surveys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Funny, but going from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 my car now has 0 under-steer. Sumitomos that are now in the rear perform better than the pilots did and they are down to 245 vs 255 (stock). This price oriented mismatch set can really take a beating. Let's see if they last as long as the Michelins did (
Guess to each car its own tire...

I would expect that to be the case, and would think that a better comparison would have been the Pilot Super Sport, which has been mentioned here a few times and were absolutely phenomenal in my experience.

Ive have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on for about 5K miles and i love them. handling is excellent in dry and wet. Didn't get a chance with them in the snow. For an all season tire, it performs like a summer tire, but with the added benefit of running it year round.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Lots of misunderstanding here. Allow me to clear it up.

The JD Powers tire survey is an off-shoot of their new car survey. It is done at the same time and with the same people.

So it is a survey of OEM tires - but it is also a survey of how well the consumer liked the car. I remember looking at the very first survey some 30 years ago and it was obvious then that there was a *halo effect* - if the consumer liked the car, they liked the tires.

Soooooo,

Because Michelin can afford to be picky about which car they get sourced on, they can pick and choose cars that are going to result in happy customers.

No, Michelin has to provide tires to the OEM specs - and the specs are the same for EVERY tire supplier - BUT - Not all the specs are the same for every car (truck), so once again, Michelin can pick and choose.

The fact that Firestone is delineated out as different than Bridgestone kind of shows how unsophisticated the survey is. Bridgestone gets to pick which car gets which brand - and I would guess that they reserve the [censored] brand (pun intended!) for the higher end vehicles. I am sure all the other tire suppliers do the same thing.

One of the really weird things is that a tire supplier can supply the same exact tire to 2 different platforms and get completely different results.

And because Michelin has a certain image, it does well in these surveys.

Ya know the funny thing is....I don't find that weird at all based on some experiences with OE tires. My guess would be that some OEM specs are "more equal than others" in relation to the particular application. If the same spec and tire are used on a car that's 600 lbs. lighter and with different suspension geometry, it stands to reason that they potentially would've have the same performance or the same perceived performance. Not to mention the buyer demographic might be significantly enough different than the other model/platform.

It reminds me of Tire Rack's tests where they usually employ the same 3 Series BMWs as test mules. My car is a 1000 lbs. lighter than these BMWs and has considerably different underpinnings. I don't view TR tests as particularly applicable to what works on my vehicle other than an acknowledgement that they're using an equalizer methodology. The same may hold true related to differences in these surveys where, depending on the model/platform, some buyers are looking for more performance capability than OE and others are looking for more comfort, etc. ....but most just want to love their new car and tires.

Bought far too many personal and company vehicles over 40+ years - but never part of a single survey so JD Power who ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Funny, but going from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 my car now has 0 under-steer.

Doesn't that make sense, given that you went from an all-season tire to a summer tire?

Yes, but the kicker was that the tire was the same or better in snow and superb in ice, which I can't say for the A/S Pilots...

That seems.... improbable.

Also seems improbable to many that the sidewalls flack off the Michelin tires-plenty of posts and pictures to prove that point.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Michelin OEM tires (just the like the remainder of OEM tires) are typically junk and I have never had any decent mileage from Michelin OEMs. While the Michelin MS/2's on my 2010 F-150 FX4 were fantastic, the Michelin AT/2's on my 2015 F-250 Platinum FX4 are garbage. From my point of view, Michelin is not the "be-all, end-all" of tires, BUT they do make some really good models and those typically shine, whereas the remainder not so much. YMMV (literally).

What tire did you end up with on your F250?

the latitudes on my terrain and equinox have been perfectly fine for me. Haven't really tested the traction but I don't see any issues with it. They are quiet, smooth and seem to be wearing nicely. Personally I feel like there are other manufacturers that offer more bang for your buck but Michelin is a, ok

Originally Posted By: dblshock
always liked Michelin tires..LTX is the benchmark for road touring.

Every single Light Truck tire from Michelin starts with LTX, so I don't get much from what you're saying here.

I have had both Michelin OEM and Michelin "replacement" tires, and haven't been overly impressed.

My current AWD Chevrolet Equinox came new with Michelin Latitude Tour. After almost 26,000 miles they are wearing like iron and still have 8/32's tread depth. They will probably dry rot before they actually wear out. However, they ride rough and can be very noisy on certain road surfaces. Wet weather performance is starting to degrade noticeably despite the relatively healthy tread. Snow performance has been OK with only a couple of cases where the AWD couldn't keep up with the loss of grip. I plan on replacing the Latitude Tours with a set Cooper Discoverer SRXs when the time comes.

My previous car was a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I replaced the OEM Kumho Solus tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4's. The Michelins were better than the Kumhos, but not by a huge margin worthy of the price difference. The Michelins wore better than the Kumho and were quieter, but wet weather and snow traction was comparable. Gas mileage dropped about 10% with the Michelins.

The absolute worst OEM tires I ever had were Goodyear Integrity on a Chevrolet Impala. Just horrible. The replacement General Altimax RT tires I put on were garbage. I put Goodyear Assurance Touring (from Sam's Club) on after the Generals and they were really, really good.

I've been very happy with the Michelin Pilot AS3 on my Mercedes. Great tires.

But then, I've been very happy with the General tires on the XC, and the Continental tires on the T5.

Each individual model/line of tire has to be considered on its own merits. Not all models form one brand are great tires. Further, individual preferences vary widely...

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: dblshock
always liked Michelin tires..LTX is the benchmark for road touring.

Every single Light Truck tire from Michelin starts with LTX, so I don't get much from what you're saying here.
I don't want to start an argument, but that just isn't so. The current Tire Rack website lists the following Light Truck/SUV tires; only 4 of the 22 start with LTX.

4x4 Diamaris
Latitude Diamaris
Latitude Sport
Latitude Sport 3
Latitude Sport 3 ZP
Latitude Tour
Latitude Tour HP
Latitude Tour HP ZP
Premier LTX
Agilis
XPS Rib
XRV
Defender LTX M/S
Energy Saver LTX
LTX A/S
LTX M/S2
LTX A/T 2
XPS Traction
LTX Winter
Latitude X-Ice Xi2
Latitude Alpin
Latitude Alpin LA2

I don't find them to be as good in the rain as 40k tires and they chipped on crushed rock roads. Same with Toyo - both high mileage tires so could be harder rubber. I prolly need stick with 40k tires - I seem to find every nail someone lost too - so a long running tire like Michelin does not work for everyone - but no doubt some good tires ...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I run the Pilot Super Sport(OEM) on the M235i, Primacy MXM4 ZP on the 328i, and Premier A/S on the X3. I have absolutely no complaints about any of those tires. I'm almost certainly going with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the Club Sport now that it has been retired from track duty.

Be careful with the A/S3+. Have a set on my Civic as an intermediate set of tires and they are really loud, louder than my winter tires. Same goes for the A/S3 I had on my 135i as intermediates. My Hakka winters are noticeably quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back