VWB 5w30, 5k OCI '16 F350 6.2l

Status
Not open for further replies.
This winter sample was just changed. It was replaced with VWB 5w30 and a Fram Ultra. Prior fill was M1ep. This oil saw a ton of idling ( over an hour to two a day), lots of plowing, and towing and temps to the -25f to -30f range. Filter was a parts master.

Last edited:
agreed...the UOAs always look fantastic. I don't know of another brand that shows better. That said, ive got a buyer(well actually a trade) for the huge stash of VWB i purchased...i may switch to synpower and a 10k oci...not sure. This VWB is working very well...so i may just keep it and cary on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Valvoline is so underrated here. Almost every UOA is fantastic.

+1!

thumbsup2.gif

I can't repeat what's already been said so I wont...valvoline conv is outstanding and I'm not sure I'd make the change to syn.

Great report! I'm not surprised though, Valvoline makes really good lubricants! I've been using Valvoline products for forty years now and couldn't be more pleased. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted By: Kuato

+1!

thumbsup2.gif

How does a UOA tell much about the quality of an oil?

Originally Posted By: tig1

+1!

thumbsup2.gif

Depends upon how you define "quality of the oil" ... "Quality" is not well defined in your question.

If you are going to talk about base stocks, or other things that don't have a direct effect on wear, then it won't. Things like vis, FP etc can vary widely, and yet not directly affect wear (if at all) until they are GROSSLY out of spec.

If you are going to talk about wear metal rates, which shows how the whole system is working in concert (or perhaps in cacophony), then the UOA will let you know how the oil is performing.

Engines that have good lube system design, and don't stress the lubes much, will do well with about any lube. Think of the 4.6L Ford or the Duramax, for a couple of examples. Really does not matter what goes in the crankcase as long as it's reasonably close to the spec (grade can vary a bit, etc). So the UOA is telling you that the combination of the lube, plus the design and manufacturing of the equipment, are working well together.

Conversely, there are engines that have much higher wear rates; the old 350 SBC will shed about 5-7ppm Fe every 1k miles, or more. it does not wear well at all, but that does not stop it from running well. And no matter what lube you use, it won't affect the wear rates that much.

Each engine family has a "normal" wear trend tendency, and each individual engine produced will have a unique response within that sense of "normal".

UOAs can certainly tell us about the performance of a lube, but that performance ("quality", if you will) is only a part of the overall interaction. You can make some generalization and be OK.

+1!

thumbsup2.gif

Yeah tig1 please educate all of us and no M1 preaching this time
wink.gif

+1!

thumbsup2.gif

LOL I really needed a good laugh this afternoon!

+1!

thumbsup2.gif

How does gender define sex tig1?

Originally Posted By: car51

+1!

thumbsup2.gif

Yeah tig1 please educate all of us and no M1 preaching this time
wink.gif

Car 51. Are you aware that Blackstone can't tell the difference between dino and synthetic oil? I actually spoke to them about that. The real value in cheap UOAs is to determine the condition of the oil. Like dirt, fuel, or coolant contamination, or possibly a serious wear trend. Outside of the most pathetic oils there are(Car 51 maybe you can "educate" us what they are) UOAs can't determine "much about the quality of an oil".

TIG1: I see you don't know how to answer questions. THANKS FOR NOTHING
smile.gif

It's
spankme2.gif
difficult, but I try.

smile.gif

It's
spankme2.gif
difficult, but I try.

Tig1: all I want to know is this: how come a LOT of Valvoline oils turn in very good UOA's and same for M1?

"Pathetic oils" are CITY STAR, BULLSEYE, oils that are NOT API ACERTIFIED; wouldn't you agree?

smile.gif

It's
spankme2.gif
difficult, but I try.

Tig1: all I want to know is this: how come a LOT of Valvoline oils turn in very good UOA's and same for M1?

"Pathetic oils" are CITY STAR, BULLSEYE, oils that are NOT API ACERTIFIED; wouldn't you agree?

Car51. When did I say anything against Valvoline oils? I never have. I don't use them but I'm sure they are top flight, as many others are. However, how does a UOA tell us about the quality of an oil? As I said, a UOA does tell us the condition of the oil.

Well, a via tells us this. I would think the flashpoint of a oil in a UOA could be a clue; don't you agree?

Yes, for the condition of the oil=excess fuel contamination. If you saw the oil level rising on the dip stick that would be possible fuel contamination. Maybe a UOA would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back