Shell X-100 Zinc additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. This from the people IIRC who's company line has been not to add anything to their oil. Except now this stuff I guess.

Can you tell what it is supposed to be doing? Like a glorified STP or what?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Interesting. This from the people IIRC who's company line has been not to add anything to their oil. Except now this stuff I guess.

A 5-second Google search revealed that Shell is targeting this to classic and collector car owners.
https://www.shellx100oil.com/

Excerpt from above:
"Shell “Classic” X-100 Motor Oils and Additives
have been developed to meet the specific needs
of Classic and Collector car engines..."

Modern fluids may not be completely compatible with classic machinery, hence these products.

The new Shell X-100 SAE 30 and 20W-50 oils have about 2000PPM of ZDDP, however it has low detergency and is designed more for 50s and 60s engines with none or rudimentary engine oil filtration systems, i would rather still use something like Valvoline VR1 which still has 1300ppm which is plenty for just about any flat tappet camshaft, and it has higher detergency, TBN, and it's also SM-A3/B4, X100 is SF/CC.

Some older cars need it, and I think they're targeting people with older vehicles.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Some older cars need it, and I think they're targeting people with older vehicles.

Edit: Some owners of older cars think they need it, and they're targeting people with older vehicles who don't know any better.

They are answering the call of the marketplace by providing a product people are convinced is needed.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Edit: Some owners of older cars think they need it, and they're targeting people with older vehicles who don't know any better.

They are answering the call of the marketplace by providing a product people are convinced is needed.

Yes, in some cases. Then there are people driving older cars with data in the form of UOA's showing they need it.

I know, I was just blabbering. I just don't get why anyone would buy an additive from an oil company. If it were that useful, it should be in their oil in the first place. It isn't like there aren't ZDDP alternatives that'll pass API muster and provide as good of protection as the oil did in the vintage motors when they were new.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
I know, I was just blabbering. I just don't get why anyone would buy an additive from an oil company. If it were that useful, it should be in their oil in the first place. It isn't like there aren't ZDDP alternatives that'll pass API muster and provide as good of protection as the oil did in the vintage motors when they were new.

I here ya. Do you remember VSOT? It was Valvoline's oil additive, loaded with moly. It had quite a following here. Valvoline discontinued it. It appears the Shell zinc additive might be an item only available at Auto Zone. Today was the first time I ever saw it.

Hello to people on this thread, This is so focused I am not putting it on the offers/for sale section.

I have a 12 oz. can of the featured product, Shell X-100 Zinc additive. The can reads 'treats 5 quarts".

If anyone wants it they can have it for the USPS shipping charges (commonly called "postage"). I'll wrap it etc. for nothin'.

To repeat: It's yours for postage. I weighed the can and it's 430g so all packed up I guess it'd weigh a little over a pound.

I have also offered it to friends so I suppose a "get it while you can" condition statement is required.

Nothing new to BITOG here. I've seen people give stuff away on this board for the same "price". FREE + postage. Kira

well.. for my boat with a flat tappet engine, ('86 gm 305) which needs a higher zddp level without paying more for FC-W rated stuff, this might allow me to run a diff synthetic oil and add this to it.. i need at least 1200ppm without necessarily the issues brought up by using a diesel rated oil with extra detergents. I dont have any emissions junk - full on straight pipes..

Originally Posted By: Evilpsych
well.. for my boat with a flat tappet engine, ('86 gm 305) which needs a higher zddp level without paying more for FC-W rated stuff, this might allow me to run a diff synthetic oil and add this to it.. i need at least 1200ppm without necessarily the issues brought up by using a diesel rated oil with extra detergents. I dont have any emissions junk - full on straight pipes..

Consider VR1 or Schaeffer in 20/50. We have not found a better fill for GM based marine engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back