SAE 30 Grade Racing oil formulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Here is a SAE 30 Grade Semi-Synthetic Racing oil (ONLY) formulation (Values rounded up or down);

Zinc - 1600 ppm
Phosphorus - 1450 ppm
Calcium - 2200 ppm
Sodium - 350 ppm
Silicon - 5 ppm
Vis @ 100°C (cSt) 12.35
Flash Point 261C
Pour Point -35C
VI 150

Not to be used in vehicles with Catalytic Converters.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Molakule,
in "SAE30", are you suggesting that as per J300, there's no VII, or as it's a racing oil is the "W" not a design parameter.

No problems with that level of zinc with spalling/pitting ?

It's a little in the face of a number of myths, looks good.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Molakule,
in "SAE30", are you suggesting that as per J300, there's no VII, or as it's a racing oil is the "W" not a design parameter.

It's a little in the face of a number of myths, looks good.

The customer wanted a "narrow" SAE 30 grade and therefor does not contain any VII's.

VI and viscosity is determined primarily by the mix of base oil types and viscosities.

Label will indicate that as a racing oil, it is to be changed after the daily racing event, and further indicate that a conventional daily driver oil should be installed prior to storage.

One of the tests done was on a blueprinted 625 Hp V8 engine (very expensive test btw) for hours at varying RPM under varying loads. Crankshaft, cams and bearings were examined microscopically after teardown and no spalling or corrosion pitting were indicated.

Last edited:
BTW, friction modifiers are ashless. You don't want anymore ash forming on spark plugs and valving than necessary.

At the high temps and high air flows involved in the test engine, little ash was formed.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I'll guess it a 15W30, HTHS 3.55 and density .850

HTHS is 3.7

TBN is 7.5.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Zinc - 1600 ppm
Phosphorus - 1450 ppm
Calcium - 2200 ppm
Sodium - 350 ppm
Silicon - 5 ppm
Vis @ 100°C (cSt) 12.35

Originally Posted By: Shannow

One of the tests done was on a blueprinted 625 Hp V8 engine (very expensive test btw) for hours at varying RPM under varying loads. Crankshaft, cams and bearings were examined microscopically after teardown and no spalling or corrosion pitting were indicated.

That makes sense to me. Many of my friends and I ran Penrite HPR 30 in our cars and bikes for years, both leaded and unleaded fuel, but none had cats. The HPR 30 has 1570ppm Zinc, and I never heard of any problems, even after years of usage.

I notice you have a touch of sodium there, what is that for ? You have ample TBN for an oil that should be changed after a single day at the race track.

Just for arguments sake, if somebody did live in a very hot climate (me) so no winter start issues. Plus they had an older cat-less pushrod car (younger me), so no zinc issues. Then they went against the advice on the label and ran the oil for 6 months say (younger foolish me), would you expect any issues with the engine / oil ? Maybe it has limited dispersant levels to hold the soot in suspension ? But I'm just guessing.

Quote:
Sodium 2-mercaptobenzothiazole can be used as a metal deactivator to keep metals from reacting with other compounds, and to help retard oxidation.

Some sodium compounds such as sodium dibutyl dithiocarbamate SDDC) are used as another anti-wear agent in lieu of conventional AW compounds. SDDC shows a low fricton coefficient with good polarity since being a dithio-type compound, has sulfur atoms for polarity enhancement.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2764914/Alternative_Detergents_%22S#Post2764914

Quote:
Sodium 2-mercaptobenzothiazole can be used as a metal deactivator to keep metals from reacting with other compounds, and to help retard oxidation.

Some sodium compounds such as sodium dibutyl dithiocarbamate SDDC) are used as another anti-wear agent in lieu of conventional AW compounds. SDDC shows a low fricton coefficient with good polarity since being a dithio-type compound, has sulfur atoms for polarity enhancement.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2764914/Alternative_Detergents_%22S#Post2764914

Thank you !

Originally Posted By: SR5
Just for arguments sake, if somebody did live in a very hot climate (me) so no winter start issues. Plus they had an older cat-less pushrod car (younger me), so no zinc issues. Then they went against the advice on the label and ran the oil for 6 months say (younger foolish me), would you expect any issues with the engine / oil ? Maybe it has limited dispersant levels to hold the soot in suspension ? But I'm just guessing.

great question, I would like to know too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back