Rotella no longer gas engine rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Incorrect, guys. This keeps coming up over and over again here lately, so I'll put it in big bold letters...
wink.gif

T6 MULTI-VEHICLE 5w-30 IS NOW THE ONLY ROTELLA THAT WILL CARRY AN API GASOLINE SERVICE CATEGORY MOVING FORWARD.

Taken from another thread on this forum. What happens now when someone new comes here asking which oil they should run? What will current Rotella users do?

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Incorrect, guys. This keeps coming up over and over again here lately, so I'll put it in big bold letters...
wink.gif

T6 MULTI-VEHICLE 5w-30 IS NOW THE ONLY ROTELLA THAT WILL CARRY AN API GASOLINE SERVICE CATEGORY MOVING FORWARD.

Taken from another thread on this forum. What happens now when someone new comes here asking which oil they should run? What will current Rotella users do?

Lets wait for some VOAs or other solid information on what the additive packages actually ARE.

Many people running Rotella in gas engines are doing so in an engine that doesn't need an SM or SN rating- that's one of the whole points of even using Rotella in a gas engine. If you're using it "off-label," then what do you care what rating it carries? For vintage big-block or other flat-tappet / big valve-spring engines, the "diesel-only" T6 5w40 should be fine (pending looking at a VOA to see if there's any benefit). For newer engines, the 5w30 that still carries the gas engine rating should be fine.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Lets wait for some VOAs or other solid information on what the additive packages actually ARE.

Many people running Rotella in gas engines are doing so in an engine that doesn't need an SM or SN rating- that's one of the whole points of even using Rotella in a gas engine. If you're using it "off-label," then what do you care what rating it carries? For vintage big-block or other flat-tappet / big valve-spring engines, the "diesel-only" T6 5w40 should be fine (pending looking at a VOA to see if there's any benefit). For newer engines, the 5w30 that still carries the gas engine rating should be fine.

Bingo - If I decide to run off-label it's my decision. If the VOA/UOA's come back similar to old, who cares what the label says.

How many times do we break the speed limit? More times in a day than I have fingers and toes. But usually not for prolonged periods. Plus, everyone around me is running 5%~15% over. What am I supposed to do, slow everyone down ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
The current T6 5W-40 data sheet on Shell's website still has SL and SM listed.

But they've already announced that from now on it will NOT carry gasoline approvals. That's not in question, the SM/SN rating will be going away on the 5w40 grade. Starting with CK diesel oils, there will be a clear distinction between "high Zn/P" C-only rated oils for diesel engines (and other "off-label" applications where you know what you're doing, such as old flat-tappet V8s) and "Low Zn/P" C- / S-rated oils for modern-era passenger cars and diesels that allow them also. Rotella appears to be tying that distinction to the T6 5w40 being the C-only product, and the new T6 5w30 being the C/S product.

This ^,

But they've already announced that from now on it will NOT carry gasoline approvals. That's not in question, the SM/SN rating will be going away on the 5w40 grade. Starting with CK diesel oils, there will be a clear distinction between "high Zn/P" C-only rated oils for diesel engines (and other "off-label" applications where you know what you're doing, such as old flat-tappet V8s) and "Low Zn/P" C- / S-rated oils for modern-era passenger cars and diesels that allow them also. Rotella appears to be tying that distinction to the T6 5w40 being the C-only product, and the new T6 5w30 being the C/S product.

Some documentaton, please.

So the question on my mind is..

.. Once these CK-4 jugs come out, without the API S(L/M/N) certification on them, the oil should still technically be safe for use in a gasoline engine that does not burn oil, correct?

^^^ +1

That's all you need to know for motorcycles
smile.gif

There are a few diesel bikes out there. But 99.9% are gas, and JASO is about gas engines (and clutches and tranny's, etc.).

Last edited:
wink.gif

The rating I am concerned with is the JASO MA rating, which is the motorcycle rating for Japanese bikes. But, after seeing how low the oil rated, I may switch.

I think ( I know this is dangerous, but) the Shell Rotella T4 15w40 and the T6 5w40 with the API CJ-4 and the new CK-4 is all ok for wet clutch bikes, but here's the big question mark, is the T6 with the API FA-4 ok to use? I think the answer is no, because FA-4 to my knowledge is for the new diesel engines coming out and FA-4 is a new classification to take advantage of these new diesel motors for increased performance, which to me spells 'moly'. So I think if the shell jug has CJ-4 or CK-4 on it then it's ok to use but the jug with FA-4 on it I would be hesitant to use in my wet clutch bike. and the FA-4 needs more research before using it, anyone else have a comment on this?

Look on the bottle for the JASO ratings and also for Allison approvals. If both, great - go ahead and use (Rotella T6 has both).

FA-4 oils - nope, I wouldn't do that in a zillion years. There will continue to be full bodied HDEO's for many years to come for the aging fleets around. FA-4 is for newer engines designed to use these lubricants ...

wink.gif

Simple, if no API Gasoline Rating OR no Jaso rating, choose another oil. Really is that simple.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
20170321_115944.jpg

If it has JASO MA/MA2 its good for gas engines.

ROD

^^ Yup ^^

For an oil to be a Jaso rated oil it has to be at least one of these ratings.

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3
Click here for source

With that said, remember, Rotella has never been a Certified Jaso oil, you are using it on the word and goodwill of Shell Oil that it meets their standards. If your that crazy about choosing an oil that HAS to have a Jaso Rating, you might be better off looking elsewhere until Shell gets its act together on what it says its oil will meet.

I dont know why anyone using 5/40 Rotella would be hung up on ratings anyway, as I do not think there is a motorcycle on the market that calls for a 5/40 oil but they choose to use it anyway. :eek:)

Last edited:
I like using Rotella 5w40 in my '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 because I wonder about the cold starts here in the spring and fall, and like the 5 weight that would flow sooner to the motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back