Tire Width 225 vs 235

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I'm due for a new set of tires for my 2013 Sonata 2.0T SE. I currently have a set of 225/45R18 tires on 18x8 aftermarket rims. My car originally came with 18x7.5 rims, but that's besides the point. I'm now considering getting 235/45R18 tires (BFGoodrich G-FORCE™ COMP-2™ A/S).

Would there be any issues running a slightly wider tire? I don't believe there would be any speedometer error since only the width of the tire would change.

Folks on the Hyundai forum run as wide as 245s without any rubbing.

Thanks,
Swift

If I recall, on a 225/45 tire, the highth is 45% of the tire width. So on a 235 tire, it would be a little taller. If you google, you can find a speedometer calculator. It will let you put in the size of your original tire and the new tire and calculate the speedometer differences at a given speed.

Originally Posted By: otis24
If I recall, on a 225/45 tire, the highth is 45% of the tire width. So on a 235 tire, it would be a little taller. If you google, you can find a speedometer calculator. It will let you put in the size of your original tire and the new tire and calculate the speedometer differences at a given speed.

Thanks I found that website, with 235s fitted to my car I would be doing 65.89 when the speedometer shows 65.

Besides that draw back would there be any issues? Any benefits to a 225 tire on a 18x8 rim?

Last edited:
Bens
Slightly less RPM on the highway could mean slightly better fuel efficiency
Improved cornering capability due to wider rubber
Cons
More $ to buy
Worse aero due to the wider rubber = lower fuel economy
Heavier tire
More prone to hydroplaning
Worse traction in snow
Could be more sensitive to alignment
May tramline more over certain road surfaces
Only you will know you have a wider tire on the car
Car may be lower on the torque curve due to larger diameter tire, which may mean car downshifts more to maintain a given speed

I always liked a wider tire I feel it makes the car look better. I run the 215/70/15 on my Century and it looks much better than the 205/70/15 in my opinion.

A car with skinny looking tires for the body just seems off

There's usually not a lot of disadvantage to going to a wider tire. Lower fuel economy and (possibly, not necessarily) poorer traction in slick conditions are the most obvious.

A somewhat hidden one has to do with the steering geometry and the wheel offset. As you widen the tire, the contact patch gets wider. The steering geometry is set up expecting the average contact point with the pavement to be in a small spot in the center of the tread. The distance between that point and a line through the upper and lower ball joints is the "scrub radius". When you go to a noticeably wider tire, you can get some quirky steering feedback when you change between lanes that aren't perfectly level, or part of the tread rolls over a low spot in the pavement and part doesn't especially during braking or steering input. What's happening is that the EFFECTIVE scrub radius is moving outward or inward because of the increased witdth of the tire and the fact that its making most of its contact at an outer or inner edge. Its not usually very noticeable, but in some cars it can be aggravating.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I always liked a wider tire I feel it makes the car look better. I run the 215/70/15 on my Century and it looks much better than the 205/70/15 in my opinion.

I had a 1991 Century that had 185s on it. Looked so goofy but the wheel itself was so narrow...

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I had a 1991 Century that had 185s on it. Looked so goofy but the wheel itself was so narrow...

I believe my wife's 2012 yaris has 185's on it stock. I hate that car.

My owner's manual, 2006 Buick, says P225/60R16. 225 is width from sidewall to sidewall. 60 is aspect ratio. It would mean the tire's sidewall is 60% as high as it is wide.
does that indicate a 235 mm tire is 10 mms wider. Not higher ?
That's how I understand it.

The diameter will indeed change.

225/45 means width 225 mm, sidewall 45% of the diameter (45% of 225 mm = 101.25 mm)

235/45 means width 235 mm, sidewall 45% of the diameter (45% of 235 mm = 105.75 mm)

Tire size calculator

Thanks for the input everyone, although 235s would looks better I'll prob go with 225s so I don't have speedometer error.Not to mention I'm looking for better wet/snow performance.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Thanks for the input everyone, although 235s would looks better I'll prob go with 225s so I don't have speedometer error.Not to mention I'm looking for better wet/snow performance.

I think that is only a 7" or 6.5" wide wheel too, so 225 should be a sweet spot for it.

I BELIEVE my Impala LT 17" wheels are only 6.5 wide and 225 (O.E) is the widest I would go. Some go 235 and it looks kinda goofy and I'm not sure the tire is properly making contact with the ground anymore. Even the little extra sidewall just looks off to me.

Here is an example on a 6.5" wide wheel (235 black car, 225 silver car (mine). I know the angle is different but you can still see a difference.

Example

Last edited:
I got confused reading the post about Drosselmier with the Buick. Ignore the part about the rim width and take the post just as an example width makes on the same wheel. I imagine in your case you wouldn't hang over the wheel as much, but might see the sidewall difference.

Sorry I didn't read closer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back