Is Amsoil still up there for gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trends and discovery change often. Chemicals and formulas do as well.

Its time for my front and rear diff fluids to be changed out. In the past i normally go Mobil1 for 30-50k. I'm thinking this time around since i dont tow or anything to run Amsoil SVG and be done with the fluids for 75k.

Looks like 3qts of SVG 75w90 is going to run me about $50 after tax/shipping. Mobil i can grab for $25-30.

Is Amsoil still one of the Top Tiers?

I have no doubt it is still a top tier fluid, but unless you are running on the track I would use a lesser priced fluid. Save the case and take the significant other out for lunch.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Trends and discovery change often. Chemicals and formulas do as well.

Its time for my front and rear diff fluids to be changed out. In the past i normally go Mobil1 for 30-50k. I'm thinking this time around since i dont tow or anything to run Amsoil SVG and be done with the fluids for 75k.

Looks like 3qts of SVG 75w90 is going to run me about $50 after tax/shipping. Mobil i can grab for $25-30.

Is Amsoil still one of the Top Tiers?

I would say they, Redline, Lubrication Engineers, and Schaeffer's are tops.

I use Mobil 1. It has been my experience that it can stay in service under normal conditions [you mentioned you won't be towing] for a lot more than 30-50K miles. No need for a boutique gear oil in my opinion. But Amsoil does make a good gear oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Amsoil gear oils are all I'll ever use. I highly recommend the Severe Gear.

Yep, Amsoil or Redline are my pick.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
scamsoil still up there as a ripoff

It is always good to see that we still have drive-bys that make a negative comment with no supporting evidence.
shocked.gif

I use Amsoil in the rear differential because it's available in 75W-110. The transfer case & front differential both get Mobil-1 75W-90 & in the 5-speed, Redline MT-90. I'm well pleased with all 3 choices for the rather severe environment the Tacoma must operate in. The 75W-110 & the Lith/Complex Moly Amsoil I use on certain tractor zerks are the only 2 of their products I use, but I'm well satisfied with those two products.

Originally Posted By: Izb
AMSOIL Severe gear 75W-90 with 800ppm(only!) of phosphorus - is this a real GL-5 oil?

Yes sir, what makes you think we formulators have to use old formulations with 2000 ppm of Phos?

The Phos part is actually a new Multi-functional phosphate additive that requires less ppm of Phos to protect gearing and bearings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Izb
AMSOIL Severe gear 75W-90 with 800ppm(only!) of phosphorus - is this a real GL-5 oil?

Please don't use a single VOA to make such claims. Thanks!

Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 in the front axle and 75W-140 in the rear of my Powerstroke. You can search the UOAs for my old 2010 FX4, it is good oil--arguably the best on the market.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 in the front axle and 75W-140 in the rear of my Powerstroke. You can search the UOAs for my old 2010 FX4, it is good oil--arguably the best on the market.

Whilst Amsoil SG may be the 'best' , it's the thicker viscosity grade in 110 and 140 that really matters , IMHO.

Severe gear is amazing stuff and not because I'm an Amsoil user but because it just is. People rave about it all over the internet. Especially the Jeep Forums.
wink.gif

It is great stuff if they make a suitable product for your application, but many newer Japanese vehicles are calling for 75w85 and not 75w90. Honda uses specialized lubes in most of their “differentials.” So for me, I rarely have an opportunity to use Amsoil nowadays.

Speaking for myself, I believe Pablo might be indicating you are casting doubt on the GL5ness of the oil based on a measured concentration of 1 additive.

Did you read Molakules post above; he formulated and sold his own gear lubricants at one time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back