How long will your current oil stash last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
I went across the border and stocked up with enough Mobil 1 and filters for 5 changes, the U.S. prices were much better than up here. I declared it at the border, and they just waved me through.

I was in Japan and I purchased stuff for my motorcycle, you know helmets, gloves, etc as it was much cheaper in Japan. I too declared it coming back to Oz, and just like you they waved me through. I don't think people like you and me are on their radar.

That's good... I definately don't want to be on their radar!
laugh.gif

They just see us for what we are, real people with a hobby.

Plus we are showing them, and the system, respect by declaring it and letting them have the final say. And we were both happy with their final decision.

Last edited:
I've got one one 6-pack of M1 sitting in my garage for my change next month.

Historically I pick up 2-3 cases of M1 at Costco when it goes on sale. Now I'm tracking a few brands on Amazon and once it reaches a low price I'll buy a bunch. Could end up with 2 years worth of oil if the price is right.

I have four oil filters, but two are slated for the cutter once it arrives in the mail. I'm watching those on Amazon too...

Car is 8 qts a year.
Truck is 12 qts + top off oil (2-4 qts).
Other family vehicles is another 12 qts a year.
36 qts a year and I have a little over 70 qts.
Around 2 years worth at current use rate.

As for why I hoard, I spent less on 70 + qts on what many spend on just one 5 qt jug.

In the next week, I will be using 13 qts of it that cost me a total of $6 (Castrol GTX syn blend and Havoline high mileage).
I spent more on the Supertech and Bosch Distance + oil filters ($8) than the oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
At most I have the supply for the next oil change because if the magic oil hits the shelved I will buy it.

LOL! Same here.

It looks like two years is a popular number. That's what I got too. I have zero oil filters.
33.gif

i think i have about 10 years worth. and i'm getting ready to buy a bunch of CI-4 oil on sale before the newer CK comes to town. i'll likely get 60-80 gallons of that. and i think that'll do me for a while.

Ive got about 2 1/2 years worth for my truck, wifes car, and my bike. And the filters too.

Last edited:
I have a years worth of oil on hand for the three cars that I maintain. I do have a hard time when I go to Walmart knowing what the final cost would be to buy more oil. I just bite my tongue and move on. But I have learned my lesson, sort of, because I have seven oil filters on the shelf for a late model Camry that I no longer own.

Two 5L jugs of PYB on sale at Part Source and two more PF52 Delco filters. Enough to carry me through to late Summer 2018 or Fall I think. I don't have the room to hoard or the desire. It goes on sale every now and again.

Probably have 4-5 years worth on the shelf. About half is "Free After Rebate" oil and the other half AutoZone clearance oil. So basically I am doing my oil changes for 25% or less retail and that includes Walmart pricing retail.

Does take up some space but I vow to lean it out by attrition and go back to at most maybe a 1 year stock at best.

I don't keep more oil than needed for next 2-3 oil changes.
On other hand, I got MaxLife ATF good for about 3 years, bought last few jugs at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Car is 8 qts a year.
Truck is 12 qts + top off oil (2-4 qts).
Other family vehicles is another 12 qts a year.
36 qts a year and I have a little over 70 qts.
Around 2 years worth at current use rate.

As for why I hoard, I spent less on 70 + qts on what many spend on just one 5 qt jug.

In the next week, I will be using 13 qts of it that cost me a total of $6 (Castrol GTX syn blend and Havoline high mileage).
I spent more on the Supertech and Bosch Distance + oil filters ($8) than the oil.

In your case, buying all that oil is justifiable. I however, have no idea how to go about getting 70qts of oil for less than one 5qt jug. That is quite a skill. Or luck. lol

Oil: 2 5 quart jugs PUP, 20 quarts of NAPA synthetic, so 30 quarts. Between my 2 cars, 6 quarts a year, so 5 years worth.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

In your case, buying all that oil is justifiable. I however, have no idea how to go about getting 70qts of oil for less than one 5qt jug. That is quite a skill. Or luck. lol

Sales, clearance, pricing errors, rebates, or a combination of them.
I buy a lot when I find it cheap.
You can fine $1-2/qt syn every 2 years or so when Auto Zone does a clearance (Mobil 1 came from that).
I just got lucky with the Advance Auto pricing error ($0.05/qt).
The Quaker State was $9/qt at Walmart (2 of the jugs) and had a $10 rebate at the time per jug.
Havoline HM was free due to Amazon not shipping the correct order, they said keep it.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I currently have 58 quarts, all destined for my 2010 Fusion.. should last me almost 3 years.

Man I thought I put a lot of miles on my fusion. How's the transmission doing at 227k in your Fusion?

I just topped off with my last half quart
frown.gif

LOL. Yeah, I commute 110 miles round trip to work M-F, which works out to about 30,000 miles/year.

As far as the trans goes - So far so good. I do a single drain & fill to it every 25,000 - 30,000 miles, give or take 1k. The last one was @ 24,000 miles. Drain 1 gallon, refill with 1 gallon. I've been using Valvoline MaxLife LV fluid, but I'm going to start using genuine Motorcraft Mercon LV from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back