Silicone vs. Nitrile

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAK

What is the difference between these two ADVs? One leading oil filter manufacturer
says that silicone will not brittle over time, compared to nitrile. If that's true, why do
some top companies use the latter? I have skimmed over the first dozen or so pages
of posts on this forum, but couldn't find any information. Thanks in advance for your
input, suggestions, or recommendations.

Silicone is typically used on filters meant for long use periods. So a filter recommended for 3k~5k use will most likely have a nitrile ADBV.

Silicone ADBV is always better

Nitrile cheaper maybe?

Almost all top end filters are silicone.

Some like fram use both in different levels of filter

orange can of death vs fram ultra. for example.

Nitrile is the most widely used elastomer in the seal industry. The popularity of nitrile is due to its excellent resistance to petroleum products. It has good physical properties and is superior to most rubbers in regards to compression set, tear and abrasion resistance. It offers high resistance to mineral oil based hydraulic fluids, silicone greases, petroleum-based oils, water and alcohols.
The major limiting properties of nitrile are its poor ozone and weather resistance and moderate heat resistance, but in many applications these are not limiting factors.

Silicone is a semi-organic elastomer with outstanding resistance to extremes of temperature with corresponding resistance to compression set and retention of flexibility. Silicone elastomers also have excellent weathering, ozone and aging properties.
Silicone rubbers have poor mechanical properties and abrasion resistance and are therefore mainly used for static sealing applications and are not recommended for dynamic applications. Silicones are highly permeable to gases, and are generally not recommended for exposure to ketones, concentrated acids, or steam.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
... Silicones are highly permeable to gases, and are generally not recommended for exposure to ketones, concentrated acids, or steam.
Really? Then why are silicone rubber hoses used to transfer a steam and water mixture in most electric coffeemakers?

While silicone is better should it be the deciding factor? The OEM Subaru filters I buy by the quantity of 6 on Amazon are not silicone. I kind of wish they were but they are not. But they are OEM.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
... Silicones are highly permeable to gases, and are generally not recommended for exposure to ketones, concentrated acids, or steam.
Really? Then why are silicone rubber hoses used to transfer a steam and water mixture in most electric coffeemakers?

Maybe because they want to sell you another coffee maker next year? Maybe because it's the cheapest material that will outlast the warranty? I have no clue why manufacturers do stupid things. Most of the time dumb decisions are driven by the accountants, not the engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back