Michelin Premier A/S vs Premier LTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Honda Odyssey Elite that is going to need tires at some point this year. I have Premier A/S tires on my convertible and they have been fantastic. I use the van mostly for in town and highway driving. I also use it occasionally for towing an 1800lb popup camper or a small utility trailer. With the weight of the van at about 4500lbs, would it make more sense to go to the LTX tire? I always buy Michelin tires, I like the Premier LTX tire because it doesn't have the appearance of an off road tire and Michelins have always worked well for me. The Odyssey currently has OEM Primacy MXV-4 tires, they have been great and are at about 5/32 at 32,000 miles.

I had a set of the Premier's on the car I traded in a few months ago. LOVED those tires. My new ride has a Nexen junk on it from the factory. Currently looking to get a set of Pirelli's or another set of Premier's on it.

I would say that either should serve you fine but the LTX might hold up better over time considering you tow and stuff.

What's the weight ratings on the Premier A/S in the size? Is an XL load range tire available in the Premier A/S.

I can't imagine that Honda would have specified a tire that would be overloaded at the max payload/towing of the van; I don't see the Premier A/S in the correct load/speed range being an issue

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What's the weight ratings on the Premier A/S in the size? Is an XL load range tire available in the Premier A/S.

Looks like 103 is the standard load rating on both models in size 235/60/18. The LTX can also be purchased with a 107 XL load rating. But 103 meets the requirements for the vehicle.

No personal experience with either, but I'm planning to buy the LTX for wife's Q5 when her factory Contis wear out.

Both Premier A/S and Premier LTX seem to be getting stellar ratings/reviews on TR. Probably can't go wrong with either.

Just put a set of premiers a/s on the Lexus hoping that they will perform better than the Energies that came off the car.

The energies were a travesty from a wear and sidewall cracking perspective.

So far I really like the premiers, cars is quieter, rides, and tracks better and "appears" to get equal mileage although its too soon to tell that.

Id get the tire with the most plies if you tow and load up.

UD

Last edited:
I did notice that Chrysler uses the Premier A/S as OE tires on the Pacifica van with the 18" tires of the same 103 rating unless they are ordered with the tow package, then they have higher rated Bridgestone tires. The curb weight and tow capacity between the Chrysler and Honda are within 100lbs. Wonder if there is a specific reason why? My issue here is ensuring I get a good long life out of whatever tire I buy. The Premier LTX has 10/32 of tread vs. the 8.5 on the A/S, but the overall mileage rating is the same. Is there an advantage of going with the XL tire? I am completely satisfied with the Premier A/S on the Sebring....there is no comparison between the cheap discount tire special I had on it before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carguy996
Premier LTX has 10/32 of tread vs. the 8.5 on the A/S,

According to TR, they both have 8.5/32 of tread.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
All on-street use in a minivan sounds like Premier to me.

Which Premier?
smile.gif

I think they're the same except the LTX is in the SUV/crossover/minivan sizes and probably better for the heavier weight and taller profiles of such vehicles. Both only have 8.5/32 tread though
frown.gif

Michelin will probably eventually release a new version of the Premier with the full 10/32. Hopefully.

And what's wrong with the appearance of an off-road tire?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kuato
All on-street use in a minivan sounds like Premier to me.

Which Premier?
smile.gif

keep-calm-and-stop-splitting-hairs.png

customer has a 2011 Mercedes Benz GL450 that calls for a 111V 275/55R19 and wants Michelin premier ltx but are 111H. Would it be bad to put a lower speed rating tire on this vehicle it is a daily driver. He currently has Perelli scorpion Verde. I realize they make the latitude sport And the pilot sport 4 SUV But these are summer tires he's looking for more of an all season.

If GL450 will ever hit a track (even next owner) and tire bursts because it was overrriden will they find it was you who put H instead of V?
Regular driving is probably not a problem but if something happens the vehicle would have underspec'ed tires.

Just my opinion.

Does it have speed governor? If it does what is it?

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by FordFocus
customer has a 2011 Mercedes Benz GL450 that calls for a 111V 275/55R19 and wants Michelin premier ltx but are 111H. Would it be bad to put a lower speed rating tire on this vehicle it is a daily driver. He currently has Perelli scorpion Verde. I realize they make the latitude sport And the pilot sport 4 SUV But these are summer tires he's looking for more of an all season.

Ask owner how often he/she exceeds 130mph?

I have 18" Premier LTX on my F-150 and they are half worn at 10k miles. No kidding. They start with less tread to begin with as someone pointed out and wear fast. Do your homework on your size before buying. I certainly would not buy again. Woops just realized how old this thread is.

Last edited:
My experience with the Premier A/S on a Mercedes C300 was that while an absolutely fantastic tire the treadwear was horrific. They came with either a 50 or 60k treadwear warranty and mine were down to 4/32"s before 20k miles - there was no way they would have made it to the warranty without riding around on the belts. I will say traction, comfort and handling when they were nearing end of life was just as good as when they were new so there is that.

I have had great experience with Michelin's and its pretty much the only tire I will put on my vehicles, but I won't pony up the $$$ for the Premier A/S after my poor treadwear experience.

We had a set of Premier A/S and they were worn at 35K. Replaced with General Altimax RT43 (V) which are wearing a lot better and handle just as well. They were also 30% less.

Originally Posted by NO2
We had a set of Premier A/S and they were worn at 35K. Replaced with General Altimax RT43 (V) which are wearing a lot better and handle just as well. They were also 30% less.

They do not handle "just as well."
RT43 is OK tire, but t is just that, an OK tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back