New Mazda 6- what oil and filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, Mazda has no real specific requirements on motor oil other than it should be 0w20. With the DI Skyactiv engine, the oil change interval might be the most important recommendation.

Again, congrats on the new car. I'm in the market for a crossover and the CX-5 is the top runner right now. Mazda seems to be at the top of their game and it will be interesting to see how the recent Toyota cooperation agreement will change things mainly for the better. Mazda will make engines for Toyota and in return Toyota will provide their hybrid technology for upcoming Mazda models. It sounds like a win/win.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Actually, Mazda has no real specific requirements on motor oil other than it should be 0w20. With the DI Skyactiv engine, the oil change interval might be the most important recommendation.

Again, congrats on the new car. I'm in the market for a crossover and the CX-5 is the top runner right now. Mazda seems to be at the top of their game and it will be interesting to see how the recent Toyota cooperation agreement will change things mainly for the better. Mazda will make engines for Toyota and in return Toyota will provide their hybrid technology for upcoming Mazda models. It sounds like a win/win.
We test drove a CX-5 and loved it, but decided we wanted to stay with a car. Had we gone with a crossover, there was no other comparison the the CX-5... not even CRV. I'd consider a CX-5 awd for a replacement of my 08' 6. It'd be a perfect ride for uber/lyft.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
as far as i know, if you want to use Mazda's oil life monitor, you have to use the mazda oil with moly...

Here's what the manual actually says:
Quote:
The flexible setting is available in the United States and Puerto Rico. Based on the engine operating conditions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining oil life. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 oil and Castrol® 0W-20 oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
as far as i know, if you want to use Mazda's oil life monitor, you have to use the mazda oil with moly...

Quote:
The flexible setting is available in the United States and Puerto Rico. Based on the engine operating conditions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining oil life. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 oil and Castrol® 0W-20 oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance.

Those sound like 'alternative facts' from Mazda. Pure [censored].

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Quote:

My take is that those are the only two oils with which they've tested the system, so they put this verbiage in the manual to cover their rears.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Mr. Giggles,

Castrol probably is the blender for MGMO.

The oil I buy from the dealer parts department is made by Idemitsu

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Quote:

My take is that those are the only two oils with which they've tested the system, so they put this verbiage in the manual to cover their rears.

I agree with your take; they can't test every oil....so test a few and recommend the best ones.

My dad bought a 626 and b series truck on same day in 1984. Even then Mazda recommended Castrol, but any oil will be fine. I do like the Mazda filters though and use them on my 6.

OIL: The Mazda/Moly oil, p/n 0000-G5-0W20-MQ, is excellent. Lots of Moly, extremely high VI (200+). If you're looking for the best possible fuel economy, the Mazda/Moly oil is hard to beat. That said, any good 0W-20 will do the job. I will be sticking with the Mazda oil during the winter months but I might occasionally use Mobil1 AFE, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, or Castrol Edge during the summer.

FILTER: The made-in-Japan Mazda OEM filter, p/n PE01-14-302 or PE01-14-302A, is the best one out there for the Skyactiv engine, IMO. I've cut open the filters after every oil change on my car, and the filters above always look perfect. Zero imperfections. No tears, no wavy media, nothing. I also really like the way they're put together (gasket between the base plate-filter element mating surface, D-shaped o-ring on the base plate-engine mating surface, sturdy media, lots of pleats). They're also very reasonably priced.
I would hesitate to recommend the Wix 57002 at this time. I used one recently; after I cut it open I noticed not one, not two, but THREE breaches in the media. Two tears, one circular perforation. This was the version 1 design with circular holes in the center tube; I'm trying out the version 2 design with louvers in the center tube, maybe that one will be better. I will also point out that the Wix does not seem to be constructed to the same level of quality; the media is less sturdy, no gasket between filter element and base plate, etc. It's also fairly expensive. Next oil change I'm going back to the Mazda filters and never looking back.
If I was looking for a budget filter option, I might look at the AC Delco PF1237.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back