What makes Fram Ultra spin-on filters better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading that Fram Ultras are the bees knees.
Which attribute(s) make the Fram Ultra spin-on filter better than its competitors?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Efficiency and holding capacity. It doesn't hurt that Fram is forthcoming with technical questions either.

+1

99% efficient @ 20 microns... plus maintaining good flow rates with their synthetic media... plus having properly set bypass settings (at least in my application)... plus having good build quality inside and out... plus they have the "grippy stuff" at the end to help us DIY'ers get a good grip to remove them. The Ultra filter for my wife's Fusion is $9 everyday. No other manufacturer gives all those features at that price point. Period.

IMO....all Fram Spin on Filters are the Bee's Knee's. I'm currently running the Fram High Mileage, and have done so for the past few OCI's, with no problems to report. IMO....these filters have been very good for 8K+ miles.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Which attribute(s) make the Fram Ultra spin-on filter better than its competitors?

Let me pile on. FRAM Ultra has great efficiency (99%@20 microns). Huge capacity (new box released in March will show 20k change intervals). Silicone adbv, the only dual layer synthetic media filter in the market, all other brands with syn media are single layer. Pleated wire backed media, not plastic like others. Sure grip for easy install and removal. Can get them delivered through Amazon to your door. And, they are 9-10 bucks at retail while many filters without the same performance are priced much higher. There is no better filter than Ultra and that is a fact.

biased?...heck yeah and proud of it...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
And they are sold pretty much everywhere.

This. I love my Napa Golds but the local Napa closes at the same time I get out of work.

Originally Posted By: Motorking

Let me pile on. FRAM Ultra has great efficiency (99%@20 microns). Huge capacity (new box released in March will show 20k change intervals). Silicone adbv, the only dual layer synthetic media filter in the market, all other brands with syn media are single layer. Pleated wire backed media, not plastic like others. Sure grip for easy install and removal. Can get them delivered through Amazon to your door. And, they are 9-10 bucks at retail while many filters without the same performance are priced much higher. There is no better filter than Ultra and that is a fact.

FG StrataPore is a syn dual layer but then the efficiency is lower.

I hope you know that the insides are exactly like the orange can and only rated for 5000 miles.
I would try to stay in that range.
If you want to go more then use the Tough Guard.

Let's not forget that at least for the models I've seen, they have actual holes in the metal central core and not louvers (that many times are not fully formed/punched out on competitors products).

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I hope you know that the insides are exactly like the orange can and only rated for 5000 miles.
I would try to stay in that range.
If you want to go more then use the Tough Guard.

The insides of the Ultra are nothing like an orange can. Where did you get that?

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't see who you were replying to at first. Quoting them directly would have helped.

I am pleased to see that BITOG is moving to a place where FRAM products can be discussed intelligently. A few year back, it was a shout fest about high prices, OCOD, tall (completely unsubstantiated) tales of engines getting fried because of filters. The truth is that the company has always produced good value, good performing filters at reasonable prices. The Ultra is way up there in filters and I have used it a few times on a 225000 mile car with 10k OCIs.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
I am pleased to see that BITOG is moving to a place where FRAM products can be discussed intelligently. A few year back, it was a shout fest about high prices, OCOD, tall (completely unsubstantiated) tales of engines getting fried because of filters. The truth is that the company has always produced good value, good performing filters at reasonable prices. The Ultra is way up there in filters and I have used it a few times on a 225000 mile car with 10k OCIs.

Well said...I couldn't agree more.

smile.gif

Ed

I like having a wire backed cartridge in our Malibu. I've seen Ecotec engine crush some filters in short time. Between the prices and efficiency its a no brainier.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Obviously you have never visited the "Minimopar oil filter study" website which got this filter cutting business started.

Originally Posted By: daman

FG StrataPore is a syn dual layer but then the efficiency is lower.
Royal Purple & the Wix XP/NAPA PLatinum are 2 more examples. Don't see those on eBay for 6/$25 though (like Ultras)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back