New Motorcraft FL-910S opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter looked very well constructed especially for the $4 price point. Noticed that some Motorcrafts use center tube holes and some louvers.

I like the artistic shot of the center tube
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Agreed.

Shows how restrictive the louvers are

27.gif

This fits my Toyota truck with the 22R-E engine.

What size oil filter cap wrench fits this filter?

Originally Posted By: Drew2000

This is a very cool shot, but the brightness of the light does not accurately represent how open a particular louver is. The flashlight is at an angle (and maybe inserted past the first few rows) and since the "flaps" go different directions they're going to reflect the light differently. You also don't know how the camera adjusted the aperture for the light. The bright holes might actually be very closed, but the light washes out the details.

If you want to measure how open these holes are, stick a hose in there and somehow seal it at the top. The water pressure will equalize throughout the canister and holes with tight restrictions will have low flow.

That would look cool too...

You have far more louvers per square inch than holes........

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
smile.gif

Agreed.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
smile.gif

Agreed.

27.gif

A small slit will still show light through.

From what I researched, I think a 14 flute 76mm cap wrench fits the 920s.

Going to buy a couple of these filters at Walmart. One stop shopping for oil and filter!

Has anybody figured out how to decipher the date code on the Motorcraft filters yet?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Has anybody figured out how to decipher the date code on the Motorcraft filters yet?

Date code is underlined, and the format is mm/dd/yy. So this one is 09/09/16 (Sep 9, 2016).

Comparing the 910s louvers to a FL-500S with punched holes, it appears to me the louvers give more open area. Also, the 500S holes are right against the media, where the louvers seem to give a recess or channel between the pleats of the media and tube.

A few more louver pics. The last one is completely un-scientific, but the louvers easily take the full flow from my utility sink faucet wide open with no resistance.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Comparing the 910s louvers to a FL-500S with punched holes, it appears to me the louvers give more open area. Also, the 500S holes are right against the media, where the louvers seem to give a recess or channel between the pleats of the media and tube.

A few more louver pics. The last one is completely un-scientific, but the louvers easily take the full flow from my utility sink faucet wide open with no resistance.

Thanks for the pics and for doing the water flow test. This is far more conclusive for me than opinions of others on the flow of louvered filters. Very good job.

Love that last shot....not scientific, but you might see a gap in water if a few louvers were crushed. Great thread, thanks for posting!

BTW - this has inspired me. I ordered my oil can cutter this morning and I've got an old and new FL-500 on my work bench that are ready to be sacrificed.

Those louvers are opened up a good amount, so no problem there. The bad thing about louvers is they can vary from one filter to the next. So it's another thing that needs a visual inspection before buying it or installing it on the vehicle.

Try that water flow test on one that looks like this and see what happens. Be prepared to get all wet when the water want's to shoot out the hole the faucet end is up against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back