WWII 1943 steel penny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a 1943 steel penny in the parking lot of a business I was at Saturday. I thought it was a dime, kinda grey in color. I did a little research on it, and a magnet picks it right up. It doesn't have a mint mark, and according to the little research I did on it, the pennies with no mint mark were minted in Philadelphia. Kinda neat.

Last edited:
Copper was restricted during the war, growing up in the 60's the "steely" pennies were common. Nickle was restricted also, and the government used a silver compound for 5 cent nickels also.

I have six 1943 S in mint condition that I found in my brother's place after he died. I'd sell them for a very good price. I put them in little plastic two-piece cases a few years ago.

On a couple occasions, I have received a Buffalo Nickle in change from the Costco food court.

I've got one. Found it about 20 years ago while working in a restaurant. Not much value, but a very interesting piece of American history.

There were some accidental copper pennies made that year also. They are worth millions.

^ There's one on ebay now for 1 million dollars! ^

Originally Posted By: gman2304
There were some accidental copper pennies made that year also. They are worth millions.

^ There's one on ebay now for 1 million dollars! ^

That's also a very easy coin to fake. If I were in the market for one(which I'm not and likely never will be) I'd probably insist on it being unslabbed and sent to NCGS/PCGS to be reslabbed before I bought it.

The fakers have gotten so good even at faking slabs that I don't trust them on high dollar coins without know when/who sent it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back