Non linear oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
My toyota kluger aka highlander with the 3.3L v6 has experienced about 1.5L of oil consumption in approx 1500 kms. I had zero consumption at 4000kms then in the last 1500-1600 it must have consumed 1.5L because only 3.5L out of 5 came out during oil change.

I had become complacent and didn't check oil levels after 4000kms as there was no loss.

This was using a conserving semi syn 5w30. Nulon was the brand. Currently using castrol edge A3/B4 which is a stout 30 grade. 700kms so far with no consumption.

People often say things about pcv or piston rings etc. But no oil loss to quick oil loss seems like some sort of oil breakdown to me. Any one have some real knowledge about this phenomenon they can enlighten me with?

Last edited:
I have nothing scientific to add, but it's something I've seen often over the years on my own vehicles. Like you, I've always assumed it's the oil breaking down, although I'd hope Nulon would still be going strong after only 5,000km in a Kluger. Be interesting to see how the Edge performs.

I noticed that with my Liberty on Castrol HM. Although I'm not sure how much of the loss was burning or leaking as it does leak a moderate amount. Regardless, it wouldn't use any for the first 1000 miles of the OCI and then it'd drop pretty quick.

I have seen the same behaviour some years ago with some 10w-40 in different vehicles (Saab 900 turbo 16, Mercedes 560 SEL): absolutely NO oil consumption for the first 5000km, then suddenly 1-1.5 liters during the next 5000.

The Merc had an oil pressure gauge, and after 5000km on the oil you could see idle oil pressures lowering a bit. So I guess it was just cheap VII shearing down... and I adopted shorter OCI.

Something we should all probably do (including dealerships and quik lube shacks) is to read the oil level BEFORE draining. That would/could tell us so much. And for those taking it in, they could relay to the customer that information if considered helpful.

My Navara (diesel) typically doesn't move in the first 6,500km, needs a litre at 7,500 and could use 0.5L at OCI time.

It's been addressed here many times, but never satisfactorily. It's something I noticed on taxis that consumed oil, plus my oil burning LTD. The F-150 leaked, didn't burn, so it was fairly linear.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Are you sure it's not a measuring issue on the drain?

Nope, drained it all out and only had 3.5L left of 5L that was put in. Filled back up with 5L and it's at the full mark.

I'll keep you guys posted every 1000kms with a report on this thread. I'm hoping the edge holds up better being an A3/B4 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KL31
My toyota kluger aka highlander with the 3.3L v6 has experienced about 1.5L of oil consumption in approx 1500 kms. I had zero consumption at 4000kms then in the last 1500-1600 it must have consumed 1.5L because only 3.5L out of 5 came out during oil change.

I had become complacent and didn't check oil levels after 4000kms as there was no loss.

This was using a conserving semi syn 5w30. Nulon was the brand. Currently using castrol edge A3/B4 which is a stout 30 grade. 700kms so far with no consumption.

People often say things about pcv or piston rings etc. But no oil loss to quick oil loss seems like some sort of oil breakdown to me. Any one have some real knowledge about this phenomenon they can enlighten me with?

Happens to my 2010 Acura MDX but not always. Very weird.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Something we should all probably do (including dealerships and quik lube shacks) is to read the oil level BEFORE draining. That would/could tell us so much. And for those taking it in, they could relay to the customer that information if considered helpful.

Joe,

That's one thing Walmart TLE does even for the their $17 oil change special that uses Quaker State Oil and a Fram filter. Not bad although I've only gone there once for an oil change. Even the dealer doesn't do that or any other place I've been to.

UPDATE:

Approx 1300kms on OCI. Zero consumption. Will report back at around 2500kms.

Please do keep us updated.........
My 2005 Accord with 2.4L does the same thing zero consumption after 5K miles, then if I take it to 7500 K miles, it's down at least 3/4 of a quart. I figured, why send almost a quart of oil thru the cat---? I just change it at 5 K miles
Steve

Update:

Currently at 2700kms and it does look like it's a bit below the full mark. Hard to tell but definitely below it now so there's a little consumption so far. How much I cannot say without draining (which I won't do just yet). I estimate maybe somewhere between 100-300ml consumption. Will check every 500kms and report if there's any massive changes.

If consumption continues, I'll eventually change the PCV valve at next OCI and see if that helps. Otherwise it's cheap 15W40 time for this engine!

Last edited:
Update:

So it's at 3300kms and definitely lost some oil now. Had to add approx 500-600ml to get it just above the full mark. I'll keep monitoring for now and adding once it hits the halfway point of the dipstick.

I'm kind of [censored] off that it eats oil but also kind of excited to try a bunch of [censored] out and see what works best to curb consumption. For now I'll just stick to topping up and when it's time to change oil, I'll try a 40 grade or whatever others here might suggest works best.

5700kms now and it seems to be about 3/5th down from the full mark. I'm going to wait until it hits the L mark before adding any oil. I've read that some cars plateau near there but I'm pretty sure this won't judging from previous oil changes being well lower than they should be.

If this thicker 30 grade keeps consuming; I have a couple options in the garage.

1. Run full syn 5W40 shell helix
2. Run mineral 20W50 shell helix
3. Buy some Castrol GTX 15W40 for $18

I'm liking option 2 as we've already hit hot weather here. Don't think it's dropped below 25C overnight for the last few days. W viscosity rating will be no issue. I think the SHU will be a waste of cash and it's not much thicker than the Edge Euro A3/B4 anyways.

Option 3 is another one, but it does involve spending money and I do have a lot of oil in the shed!

Ive had this happen before; sudden rapid consumption of oil and took it as meaning that it was due for an oil change. I did a few UOAs on the resulting drain and they were not that great. Definitely was due for a change. It only happened on my first Crown Vic, the 2004. That engine didnt lose any oil until I got to 4-5k miles and it would start sucking it down. Easily 1qt/1k miles.
My 2002 burns oil all the time, between 1000 and 2500 miles per quart depending on the oil used, and I think the replenishment really kept me from seeing the effect along with it burning it anyway so it really wsnt notable that I would have to add some 100 miles earlier than the last time I did, if that was a thing.
My 2003 is running about 2500 per quart as well it appears, though Im only on the first oil change after putting it on the road. So, I doubt I will see that effect there either.

Last edited:
Ended up adding some leftover oil from my other car's service that I did. Put maybe another .4-.5L in. Currently at 7000kms (slow going here as I'm on holidays).

I'v definitely had more than 1L of top up and the level is about 3/4 full and I did originally overfill by 300ml to begin with. So overall oil burn could be 1.5L or so.

I don't want to drain early but want to also try something thicker soon too. Wish we had high mileage oils like Valvoline max life. Don't really have anything here.

I suspect a valve stem seal has had it. Saw a rather alarming puff of smoke on startup the other day. Very strange because overnight sitting, it might not do it first start. But other times it does. Wouldn't take much of a valve stem leak to puff that much. 2ml every start, start it 20 times a week = 40ml. 10 weeks, 400ml down on dipstick. Sounds roughly right. 40 weeks = 1.6L burned.

I don't think usage is non linear anymore so thread title is now wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back