Ford Grease in GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of using Valvoline Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Ford Grease, VV632, for front wheel bearings on a Chevy S10 2WD. I like the sound of having molybdenum for extra protection.

Looking at the datasheet, it is rated NLGI GC-LB, which should make it acceptable. But it differs from the Valvoline GM grease on Timken OK Load and Kinematic Viscosity parameters. Maybe there is a reason they make a separate GM version? But the GM version does not have molybdenum.

Would it work ok?

It will work okay, it has a low moly content, just enough to make it black. Personally I wont use a moly grease on any bearing.
For bearings I use Mobil 1 Synthetic and a high moly content grease (3-5%) like Schaeffers 238 on ball joints, tie rods, etc. I was taught that over 40 years ago in school and still go by it, it hasn't let me down yet.

The reason is the skidding moly can cause in some bearings (like roller wheel bearings), the question of what type of bearing and how much moly is acceptable is often debated. I am a simple mechanic and don't want to think about it when greasing a part as you are now so I just keep two guns, one with moly and one without if for no other reason than to make life easier.
The reason I like Mobil 1 red synthetic is only from my experience with it and its water resistance as observed in my snowblower auger. I lubed the auger zerks with it 11 years ago when I bought it and every year since, when a shear pin breaks the auger rotates freely as it should and is as clean as a new pin, totally free from rust and corrosion.

http://www.lubrication.com.au/case-study/bearing-skidding/

If you google there is more info out there, I just gave you my opinion and what I do. I would say GM and Ford have a different views on moly since one allows it and the other doesn't on the same type of bearing, and since neither manufacture bearings there is real possibility that they come from the same manufacturer.
When I was looking into this I couldn't find any 3% moly greases that were recommended by any company for wheel bearings so I would guess 3% is more than the maximum so whats the acceptable minimum? I don't know and its easier for me just to avoid it for these applications than overthinking it.

It seems there are different opinions on the moly grease in bearings out there. Although most seem to be against using it.
It would be interesting to see if someone actually had flat spots on their bearing rollers. I have not found any yet. Although I found some vague mention of this in needle bearings on lifters.
I hate to pass up on the benefits of moly without clear evidence. But this is probably the safe route, given the controversy.

I just installed new Timken inner and outer wheel bearings with new races on the front of my Toyota, and I used the Valvoline GM red. It's good stuff. I do have the Valvoline Ford loaded in my grease gun for the suspension parts.

Toyota factory service manual calls for moly on suspension parts, and no moly on the wheel bearings, so that's how I rolled.

Originally Posted By: StaleFuel

I hate to pass up on the benefits of moly without clear evidence. But this is probably the safe route, given the controversy.

Is it a real benefit or a contaminate that within a certain limit is acceptable when used in this application? I haven't looked but it could be Ford has had some wheel bearing failures and are using moly as hail Mary pass for.
IMO The fact the manufacturer of the vehicle you own does not specify its use is clear evidence enough for your vehicle.

Last edited:
I was also taught in school that bearings didn't get moly grease. Moly (the MoS2 type in grease) is an anti-gallant and generally used for high load, low speed/no speed application.

I also recall that Ford has a 3% moly limit on their grease. Check the content of the Valvoline Ford grease and I would bet that it is no greater than that limit.

And my personal opinion is to not use it on the wheel bearings.

I asked a similar question here in 2008 to no avail. I have since taken Trav's stance on the subject of Ford's specification to use moly in wheel bearings and try not to induce more gray hair on insignificant matters.

Some faiths refer to these conundrums as "great mysteries" and leave it at that.
grin.gif

It gets more interesting.
The owner's manual for a similar S10 truck states to use
Quote:
wheel bearing lubricant meeting requirements of NLG Grade 2, Category GC or GC-LB
, which the Ford grease meets them. They do not say anything about moly specifically.

But the real kicker is that the Haynes repair manual says to use
Quote:
NLGI No. 2 moly-base wheel bearing grease

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I once used the Valvoline Chrysler grease on my Ford and the wheel fell off..

Typical Ford
grin.gif

Stale- Any NGLI# 2, GC-LB rated bearing grease will work for your S-10. The brand or additive type really wont matter as long as the grease is rated for disc brake wheel bearings. The moly won't hurt anything but isn't necessary either.

Last summer, I did a full brake job and re-packed the front wheel bearings on my father's 96 S-10. I used Valvoline synpower which is a moly lithium grease (that is all I had on hand at the time) and everything worked great. The front wheels roll as smooth and precisely as they did when it rolled off the lot in 96.

I always used Valvoline Durablend because it said it was for Fords and for everything else. Many conventional based greases would say "For Fords" and others would say "GM, Chrysler, European cars, and Japanese cars." I never had some car have problems because I used that kind of grease in something other than a Ford.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I use the valvoline ford moly grease on everything. Never had any issues but that may be my dont know any better luck.

About 35 years ago, I started using the Ford-spec Valvoline moly grease on my 81 Chevy. I've used it on all my GM cars since, with no problems. About 20 years ago, I switched to Sta-Lube moly WB grease due to availability, and no problems with that product either.

Ford calls for a low moly grease, Toyota and Mercedes(on older cars with greased wheel bearings) doesn't recommend a moly-containing grease - the latter recommends packing the bearings with grease by weight. Most people will pick a "disc brake bearing" grease or anything that says wheel bearing and in many cases the bearing will hold up. Unless you used white grease or an unknown grease.

I did a front brake job on a friend's 2WD Explorer and I think I used either Red Line CV-2 which has red "organic" moly and a calcium-soap thickener or Coastal Uniplex, which is a plain-Jane lithium complex EP grease with no moly but a decent amount of ZDDP. I haven't asked him how the truck's doing, but I'm curious to take off a wheel and see how the bearings(Chinese-made Nationals) and grease are holding up.

I've owned mostly Ford's but had a Chevy Chevette. I used Ford Special Moly EP grease in the front wheel bearings and my mpg rose to 55. Works better than magnets.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back