What oil additives make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that additives like LiquiMoly MOS2 that actually do work and make a difference in engine performance parameters? Any other oil additives that actually stand out from the crowd for their abilities? Many claim better fuel economy, low friction, reduced oil consumption. But what additives have you (or someone you know) tried and those additives proved to be successful investings? I have tried MotorKote a long time ago and noticed absolutely no difference in performance or fuel economy.

All of them will increase fuel economy. They lighten your wallet; if you're not carrying all that extra weight in cash around the vehicle gets better fuel economy.

Are you talking the additives in the oil already or adding some additional ones like STP or Slick-50?

Stick to name brand synthetic oil that meets the requirements of your engine. It's actually quite easy.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
All of them will increase fuel economy. They lighten your wallet; if you're not carrying all that extra weight in cash around the vehicle gets better fuel economy.

I kind of agree for the most part. But i have to wonder if oil is formulated to a price point. If there was not a market price point limit, would oils be formulated the same as the are now?

I have had good luck with ATP 205 and liqui moly motor oil saver to help slow seal leaks and burning oil in my very high mileage Nissan, and that's with the synthetic oil

I think the argument applies better for fuel.

fuel is 3cents more per gallon people freak out. so theres a race to make sure fuel is cheap to the penny per gallon. hat being said I think fuel additives do make a difference even on toptier. I personally can feel a difference using si1 treated fuel in my vehicle. less the cleaning but mainly I believe the ucl smooths things out

Last edited:
^ this. I've been a long buyer of oil additives : mainly Mecacyl CR and Marly SX. Mecacyl was doing effective cleaning on dirty engines but made exhaust systems rot inside out. Marly SX made little performance increase and fuel efficiency but nothing that could compensate the price added on a 10mkm OCI.
Now I'm more towards fuel additives. I'm running TC-W3 as much as I can and can feel the difference when I don't have TC-W3 in my tank.

Why are you searching for some great additive? You mentioned two that you have already tried with no perceived gain. What are you expecting an additive to do?

Originally Posted By: Superflan
^ this. I've been a long buyer of oil additives : mainly Mecacyl CR and Marly SX. Mecacyl was doing effective cleaning on dirty engines but made exhaust systems rot inside out. Marly SX made little performance increase and fuel efficiency but nothing that could compensate the price added on a 10mkm OCI.
Now I'm more towards fuel additives. I'm running TC-W3 as much as I can and can feel the difference when I don't have TC-W3 in my tank.

I felt like BG44K made a significant difference in the fuel. Had no idea of any actual cleaning inside the fuel tank and/or injectors.

Now I'm seeing if Gumout all-in-one with "Advanced PEA" makes any noticeable difference. Seems to have a smoother idle in my Jeep, but the 5.9 Grands have to (highly recommended) run 93 octane, so I don't expect much cleaning due to the consistent use of higher quality fuels than my Matrix.

Buy some ISO ESTER AC POE oil from NAPA and dump that in. Then you will get a nice shot of cleaning and clinging. This is the lube that lives in your sealed fridge compressor for 20-30 years without being changed lubing the wankel compressor in there.

Liqui-Moly messed up my Honda FIT , but its working fine in a NON FILTERED splash lubed GENERAC C-Honda.

Last edited:
Marvel Mystery Oil will clean an engine out a good deal and is safer than many engine flushes, but it's gentle. If you've got ticking lifters it tends to work.

The much maligned Lucas has a use, thickening oil, good to cut down on burning and leaking on cars nearing the end of their life.

From my experience, for old cars Redline SI-1 and Suprotec Active Plus works quite consistently, other that works for short period (1 OCI) is Rislone, Lubegard, Restore and LM MoS2.

For new cars, i think SI-1 and SN-RC oil with high moly still work the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back