Why You Should Stay Out Of Oil Change Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted this is a small localized group of shops. But you can be sure it's no different at most all of them. I've known many over the years who were ripped off by them. Enough that there is no way I would ever trust my vehicle to one.

There are two I know of that seem trustworthy around me - but a friend took her car into Oil Changers and they charged her $110 for "synthetic" from North American Lubricants and a new air filter. The local dealers here run specials for $30/$50 that use bulk Chevron or Mobil.

I've always wanted to drive in a Tesla or Chevy Bolt to mess around with those shops.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I love these threads that reinforce the BITOG mindset. Now-let's all hold hands and sing "WE are the World".
tired.gif

These places pay minimum wage to kids who know nothing or who could care less about your car or their work period. Like going to a third world country for quality healthcare!

Originally Posted By: nthach

I've always wanted to drive in a Tesla or Chevy Bolt to mess around with those shops.
laugh.gif

confused.gif

I recall seeing a thread on an Audi? site where one of these shops tore HOLES in the lower splash pan to get access to the filter and drain plugs.

Amazing what people sacrifice when going with these shops.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I recall seeing a thread on an Audi? site where one of these shops tore HOLES in the lower splash pan to get access to the filter and drain plugs.

Amazing what people sacrifice when going with these shops.

Indeed they took a sazall to it.
Sazalls are standard tools in the pits of quick lube places.

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in real quick between blowing engines and ripping off innocent consumers.
Any DRs here? Medical errors are the 3rd largest cause of death in the US. (Google it)
All DRs are terrible, no one should trust any Doctor.
We know all Attorneys are liars and thieves. Who would ever use a Lawyer. You'd have to be an idiot.
What about Teachers or Priests? Well you've certainly heard or read about them?
Oh, and all guns are evil. Guns kill.
Gotta run, here comes another sucker for an oil change.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
Just wanted to chime in real quick between blowing engines and ripping off innocent consumers.
Any DRs here? Medical errors are the 3rd largest cause of death in the US. (Google it)
All DRs are terrible, no one should trust any Doctor.
We know all Attorneys are liars and thieves. Who would ever use a Lawyer. You'd have to be an idiot.
What about Teachers or Priests? Well you've certainly heard or read about them?
Oh, and all guns are evil. Guns kill.
Gotta run, here comes another sucker for an oil change.

Sad, but true!

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
These places pay minimum wage to kids who know nothing or who could care less about your car or their work period. Like going to a third world country for quality healthcare!

Actually most third world countries have top-notch health care for the rich people there. Many doctors there are American or European trained. Those third world countries often have huge inequality, where the top 10% are as well off as doctors in the U.S., but most everyone else is dirt poor and barely eat.

A female friend asked me to show her how to change the oil on her car, she said Valvoline charged her $79 for an oil change on her cobalt. I think they up sold her on high mileage and they over charge for it.

Some people are just too trusting.

You invest 000s into an appliance you rely on each day and trust somebody you've never met, whose credentials youve never seen, to do critically important work that could cause catastrophic failure if they make a mistake. Crazy.

<100 will buy you enough tools, a bucket and a funnel to do your own, guaranteed correct and saving 100's per year. Anybody to lazy or too stupid to do that deserves all the scams they're subjected to.

An old tired horse here. Those oil change video scams have been in previous threads many times.

I've only had 2 cars of mine go past over 200k miles without engine issues. Both of them were serviced by Quick Lube places with cheap conventional oils and filters. Go figure. Maybe I should have kept doing that?

Most people just cant be bothered to do it themselves or find a good indy who doesnt rip them off.. if you are too lazy/cant be bothered.. u get what you deserve.. obviously there are exceptions, like the elderly etc..

After yrs of trouble free service to my work van, Valvoline also changes the oil on the Camry now. Wife is under strict instructions to buy lube and oil filter only. We try to find coupons too.

I don't know that oil change shops are really all that awful.
While I DIY it always and have done so even in really lousy weather, most folks don't.
Many cars, maybe most, go through their entire long working lives with nothing more than the occasional quickie lube oil change with no problems whatever.
I'd be willing to bet that problems and dishonesty involving these shops is pretty rare.

The Ford Quicklane does a nice job. One time the advisor came into to tell me it might be a little longer wait time because they didn't have the MC filter in stock. They would have to go to the auto parts store and get one. He came in a little later and said they found one that fits. It was a little longer than the one they normally use. Maybe an 822 versus the 836 iirc. Synblend oil that stays a nice lighter color throughout the oci for $25. Plus they match dealer coupons and they don't upsell like the Toya dealer. They do an insepection and let you know if there are any concerns. Not only with me but the other customers as well. The only downside if you want to call it that is the no frills waiting room. Which means no coffee. Oh well.

I get the same guy each time I go there since I pull up in front of his door. One time he cleaned up an area in the engine bay where it was leaking p.s. fluid. The oil level is always perfectly filled. When I first went they used 5w20 then switched over to the 5w30 syn-blend which is on the oil cap. I can tell a difference btwn the two oils.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The Ford Quicklane does a nice job. One time the advisor came into to tell me it might be a little longer wait time because they didn't have the MC filter in stock. They would have to go to the auto parts store and get one. He came in a little later and said they found one that fits. It was a little longer than the one they normally use. Maybe an 822 versus the 836 iirc. Synblend oil that stays a nice lighter color throughout the oci for $25. Plus they match dealer coupons and they don't upsell like the Toya dealer. They do an insepection and let you know if there are any concerns. Not only with me but the other customers as well. The only downside if you want to call it that is the no frills waiting room. Which means no coffee. Oh well.

I get the same guy each time I go there since I pull up in front of his door. One time he cleaned up an area in the engine bay where it was leaking p.s. fluid. The oil level is always perfectly filled. When I first went they used 5w20 then switched over to the 5w30 syn-blend which is on the oil cap. I can tell a difference btwn the two oils.

How could you tell?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back