Why change oil filter every oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rav

Can anyone give me some insight on this subject. I'm just curious. I have always be taught to change the filter at every oil changes. But why? With todays engines & better oils, several car mfg. Have increased oil changes at 12,000 to 15,000 miles. Not saying this is a good thing, but never the less, filter go the same distance. If yiu use a good synthetic & change at 6k, why not leave the filter in till 12k? Surely it doesn't get clogged.

Some cars have that maintenance schedule in the manual like my CRV. Personally I'm fine with running a Fram Ultra for 16-18k miles as our cars run mostly hwy miles and that interval is about a year. Running a cheap low quality filter for a long time may be a bad idea so I won't do that.

I change my oil filters every other OCI. I've done this for years. My Chevy 5.3 is approaching 187,000 miles and my wife's Toyota Avalon is at 107,000 miles. Both engines run like new.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Why not? Cheap insurance.

That plus every owners manual I have tells me to change the filter with the oil, if that matters. I am considering letting my Pentastar cartridge filter go two runs, draining the filter and inspecting it are very easy. It looks very clean when it comes out.

You might be able to skip changing the filter if you change you oil every 3000-5000 miles and you use a high quality filter. I use M1 or PP and change my oil every 10,000 so I change the filter. When I used to change it at 5000 miles I sometimes left the filter in if it was a high quality filter.

If you ask why I left the filter on, my family had 4 cars at the time and not changing the filter made things a lot easier.

What's with these questions? Joe Dirt: Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?

What vehicle, oil, filter, OCI, driving conditions, current state of engine, etc.... Honestly the best advice is follow the owners manual. Maybe the question is why not? And weigh the pros and cons.

I have changed my oil filter 1/2 way through an OCI. Factory filter ADBV failed. (fatigued open).

Bypass operation will wash semi- trapped debris out and through the engine.

Use of E10-E85 fuels and high fuel dilution can possibly gum up the filter drastically impeding flow ( manufacturers concerns aired in ILSAC GF5 procedings and spec)

I am thinking of using a high quality oil filter for 2 OCIs because my Focus is such a PITA to get at the filter (because of the bellypan which has 9 screws). I can change the oil from above using a Mityvac and only have to change the filter every 10 or 12K (using a FU or similar).

It's not about cost but rather convenience.

Originally Posted By: rav
Can anyone give me some insight on this subject. I'm just curious. I have always be taught to change the filter at every oil changes. But why? With todays engines & better oils, several car mfg. Have increased oil changes at 12,000 to 15,000 miles. Not saying this is a good thing, but never the less, filter go the same distance. If yiu use a good synthetic & change at 6k, why not leave the filter in till 12k? Surely it doesn't get clogged.

I agree with what you say. Assuming you have a clean engine....

There is no right or wrong approach to filter changes. Instead, I look at it as wasteful or not wasteful.

The cheap insurance argument is the most common reason for filter changes at every OCI. If you are using a NAPA ProSelect or similar, then yes, a filter change at each interval makes sense. If you are using a FRAM Ultra or similar, where the filters are rated to go up to 15k (soon to be 20k) and you are changing it out every 5-7k, it's just a wasteful.

I've always believed that the dirtiest, yuckiest motor oil in an engine is contained within the oil filter, so I've always changed the filter when changing the oil. However, with today's teeny-tiny oil filters and better media, perhaps it doesn't matter. I'm stuck in the past when a giant Fram PH8A held a full quart of yucky motor oil.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
maybe everyone who is worried should change oil and filter every 1000 miles.

There was a guy in town who changed the oil and filter in his RDX every 900 miles with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I change my oil filters every other OCI. I've done this for years.

Me too.

Once I got past the fear of it, and realized Honda, for example calls for every other OCI, and ALSO learned that the filters efficiency increases, why not? I have done it for years on ALL the assorted vehicles I service, and...ZERO issues. I have full confidence now.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

There was a guy in town who changed the oil and filter in his RDX every 900 miles with Mobil 1.

My guess is it HAD to be 900 and not 1000 miles too...OCI and OCD go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

There is a very simple guideline for when to change the filter. It is in the owners manual. Manufacturers give guidelines for when to service the engines they designed and there is no good reason for the average joe to deviate from them.

Originally Posted By: rav

15 years ago, 99% of all filters were good for a shorter interval only. Now, there are FU, Wix XP and Amsoil filters, all designed to go 15000 and in some cases up to 25000 miles before being changed. Improvements in the media allows more material to be safely collected. Further, Honda for several years have suggested changing filter every other oil change; oil filter efficiency increases over time, and there are also some studies that have been posted here that indicated an oil filter can easily go twice the interval. [insert discussion here about some filters tearing]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back