Failing a 2AZ oil consumption test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now friends...

Since I seem to have become the resident mechanic at my workplace, these concerns find there way to me

Co worker of mine drives a '09 Camry SE with 120k (2AZ I4/Auto)

With the now infamous 2AZ oil consumption

Everytime I turn around this thing needs a quart of HD special $3 Shell 5w-30, just to keep something on the stick

Once I got wind of the ZE7 campaign (new pistons and bearings rebuild), and found out he was eligible, I had him book it into Toyota for an oil change and to start a consumption test

Now, correct me if I'm wrong

But I want to make damm sure that car fails, and gets the rebuild, and I've only got 1100-1300 miles to do it

They get $60 for a TGMO synthetic oil change

My plan is, when we take it in tomorrow, ask the SA for a 0w-20 TGMO full syn OCI, and to start a consumption test

Then have him drive it around out of OD, giving it the good old Italian tune up periodically

Thin full syn oil + higher revs = more oil consumption?

Bring it back at 1250 miles, and hope it's used more then a quart

Is my logic sound, here?

The "best thing" err condition that uses the most oil.
Is extended high speed driving or towing.

Why are you trying to cheat a company out of money? This is why new cars cost so much.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Why are you trying to cheat a company out of money? This is why new cars cost so much.

I don't think this qualifies as cheating here when he already has established the consumption is high.

Cheating would be sucking some oil with a mity vac

If you want to be just downright fraudulent......Suck a quart out of the sump through the dipstick. Guaranteed 100% to obtain the desired results!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
If you want to be just downright fraudulent......Suck a quart out of the sump through the dipstick. Guaranteed 100% to obtain the desired results!

I heard they put tamper resistant tape on the dipstick tube, drain plug and fill hole.

Be sure they don't overfill it. (Some dealers will.)

What happens if you're so successful that the engine croaks from oil starvation within the 1250 miles?

well, if the car consumes as you've experienced then there's no need to do anything different, and just drive normally.

But, I would say if you're really then you just idle the car for tanks at a time, or do city driving. That's low mpg miles and so it's more engine revolutions for the miles on the odo. The last bit before the test check, yes take it for a longer drives to reduce any volatile fluids.

Before they put the tamper resistant tape on there have him demand he sees the oil level to be sure it wasn't overfilled.

Originally Posted By: CR94
What happens if you're so successful that the engine croaks from oil starvation within the 1250 miles?

That would be ideal wouldn't it? New engine thanks

If you want it to fail within the 1100 miles retest, block off the PCV hose & drive around like normal. Remove the obstruction device in the hose before you go back. You only get 2 consumption tests on the ZE7.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I heard they put tamper resistant tape on the dipstick tube, drain plug and fill hole.

Yes they do. They control the test, dump your oil. Its scary, you know its going down to nothing, and when it starts to rap, you wonder if they are going to say "its fine"..

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Co worker of mine drives a '09 Camry SE with 120k (2AZ I4/Auto)

Everytime I turn around this thing needs a quart of HD special $3 Shell 5w-30, just to keep something on the stick

had him book it into Toyota for an oil change and to start a consumption test
hope it's used more then a quart

Is my logic sound, here?

This....
How often/how many miles did the engine require adding a quart of oil? Unless it's less than 1k miles per quart hoping it'll fail, it likely won't. Too many stories from angry owners suggest that it won't....sorry.

So back to logic...failing to fail, what options lie ahead...pouring oil "down the drain" or selling the car?

Consider that adding 5 quarts every 4k miles would mean not needing an "oil change."
[Why $3/qt oil...? Why not use $2/qt oil? Stock up on sale oil.]
Adding a filter every 12k miles would cost a total of less than $40/12k miles, the cost of 2 oil changes @ 6k miles....with no oil added during the OCI...

So other than the inconvenience of adding oil regularly to keep it topped up, and the potential inevitable blown engine, it would seem more logical to just accept the oil use (getting over the disappointment)...if no other serious repairs appear down the road.

Maybe I'm just preparing myself for that to be my scenario...I'm down to 1qt/2k miles now @ 144k miles....I've got my oil stash ready.

Last edited:
I wonder what had changed between 09 and 11.

Our scion xb has the same engine, and it does not use a drop of oil at the 5k oil change intervals.

I am using 5w20 semi syn.

Our last trip to the Texas coast involved 3 hours of 80+mph so I thought for sure it would use some oil, but it did not.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Our scion xb has the same engine, and it does not use a drop of oil at the 5k oil change intervals.

Our last trip to the Texas coast involved 3 hours of 80+mph so I thought for sure it would use some oil, but it did not.

I've heard that not every Saturn burned oil. Likewise, not every 4L60 imploded. But all of these items have gotten a reputation for issues, even if the failure rate wasn't 100%.

You don't need to do anything it will fail.

I have just helped a friend with the Rav4 with same engine.

To make long story short, it was only have less than 1 quarts after 1 month of driving.
She took it for the consumption test, yes they sealed the dipstick.
I don't think it matters what oil they put in.
It failed yesterday. She got a loaner.

So, you don't have to do anything or drive in a special way.
The engine is defective.

Question is where is all the oil go?

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Got a 2009 Scion xB with the same 2az. Zero oil consumption at 86K+ miles. Praying for it to stay that way. But got the oil stash ready if things go south...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I heard that too. Do they do something to the filter too, so you can't unscrew it dump the contents and reinstall it if equipped with a spin on filter? Just wondering.
wink.gif
As far as cheating, I wonder if they cheat and bump it up a few grades, over fill it, add a bit of Lucas OS, or STP, etc. Dealers aren't the most ethical bunch of people, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they cheat.

OP I don't think failing would be that hard to do, especially if you suspect them cheating............
wink.gif

I've got a 2007 RAV4 with this engine, just turned 90k. After reading about all the oil burning issues with this engine I keep holding my breath, so far so good. Before this last OCI I'd notice a small amount of consumption after doing extended 80-85mph driving but nothing remotely at the rate of 1 qt per 1500 miles or whatever. Nevertheless I was concerned that it was the start of a problem. Then this last OCI I went from Castrol 5w20 EP to plain old Napa conventional 5w20 and after 600 miles (400 of which was 80-85 mph) it looks like it didn't burn a drop. So maybe it's NOT the start of a problem after all. Don't know why it would use a bit of the Castrol and not the Napa but I'll be curious to see if that continues.

Back to this 2AZFE oil burning issue, is this inevitable or is it somehow just a portion of those engines? I don't recall my dealer ever mentioning this as an item, I assume the would mention it as part of their recalls when the look up my VIN when I bring it in? There have been a bunch of recalls on this vehicle but I don't recall anything about this being mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back